Do you think that my daughter diagnosed with anorexia nervosa could be treated effectively for it has been almost 2 weeks she is hospitalized for this so I need to hear are there any success eating disorders stories. I need to hear some of them for I need to know if this condition is treatable and how long it takes. Thanks much!

Hi! there are lot of success eating disorders stories and I have one to tell you-my daughter was also hospitalized for the same type of eating disorder and - anorexia nervosa and she was also hospitalized for her condition was so alarming that she even has lost her period and her nails and hair started to fall off practically and she also suffered from insomnia and she even had mild depression so her treatment was based on psychotherapy and nutrition counseling combined with some antidepressants also and actually that is how she learned to appreciate her own body taking the right care of it. It took more than a year for her to recover and to establish the new and right approach to food and nutrients and I can tell now she is a healthy girl with normal eating habits but keep in mind that family and friend support are the most important here for without such sort of a support it is hard achieving some success regarding eating disorder treatment and a lot of patience is needed also.

Celebrity
I have no first hand experience but have heard that CBT is very effective in treating eating disorders when the patient is motivated to get better.

I have and true dat!

Celebrity
Thanks for the first hand testimonial Annie.

Anything I can do to help others overcome their ED's. The TEA form exercise in CBT helps you attack the thinking probs at the core of ED's.

Celebrity
Good to hear Annie. The TEA forms worked for my anxiety and panic as well.
CBT rocks!

Celebrity
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and one with better skills to manage your anxieties etc :-D

I hope my reply will not discourage you in any way. I am in recovery right now i wouldn't call it success because i believe that a part of the eating disorder remains in your head it is not always a struggle but you think of it some times some even keep part of the habits stuff like eating extremly healthy exercising , some may never even try eating cake or fat foods ever again , i am amoungst that some. I believe you can't "cure" eating disorders but you can control them and live productive lives and i trully believe that your daughter can make it through. As a child and adolescent i was in and out of hospitals 7 times before it sunk in deep enough that i trully had a problem soe realise it faster than others but we have our own rythme. It is treatable it depends on the person for how long it may take some start living "normal" lives after a frist treatment some may not. it helps when the person with the eating disorder really wants the help and is not forced into it.

Celebrity
ash88 wrote:

it helps when the person with the eating disorder really wants the help and is not forced into it.

I did not find your post discouraging at all, quite the contrary! I especially liked that last part I copied above. take care and great job!

I agree I think your note was great Ash! You really do have to learn to think differently to get it out of your head which is where the disease starts imo. Countering my thoughts in the TEA forms from the CBT book by Sam Obitz has helped me change the way I think about both my body and food as well as helping me manage other anxieties in my life.

Celebrity
Learning to counter your thoughts in the TEA forms is also what helps reduce anxiety once you get better no matter what type of anxiety problem you are dealing with. The goal is to get into the habit of thinking the way the TEA form forces you too without using them anymore over time.

So, what happened? You asked the question 2 years ago. Is she healthy now?

Good question. I hope she comes back and gives us an update ?

Celebrity
How's it going ASh?