Hi, my friend has a problem that I have never heard of. At first he had difficulties breathing. They were followed by strong cough by which he also ejected blood. After seeing a doctor, he was diagnosed with bronchiectasis. The doctor also told my friend to avoid smoking as well as rooms containing smoke. Some antibiotics were also prescribed. What I am interested in, is knowing what causes bronchiectasis?

Hi, bronchiectasis is a lung disease. It is characterized by huge widening of bronchial tubes. As a result, they are damaged and the mucus from the lungs can not be cleared. Variety of areas of both lungs can be affected by bronchiectasis. Several reasons have been found that could trigger the creation of this illness. Inflammation or infections of airways that reappear are often the cause of bronchiectasis. However, the most common cause of it is severe respiratory infections. These infections could appear as a result of immune deficiency disorders, cystic fibrosis and mechanical factors such as bronchia damaged by inhaled objects or lung tumor. Inhaling toxic substances could also produce bronchiectasis. Among them is cigarette smoke and that is why the doctor of your friend told him to avoid smoking and rooms that contain smoke.