Hello. I'm 15 year old female and I need some information about condition called tonsillitis. Few days ago, in school we talked a bit about it and I've got the assignment on this subject.
I have searched for information on several places and everyone knows something about it, but no one is really sure and no one can give some exact information.
I have asked my mother about it and she told me that she had her tonsils removed when she was my age. Will she have any consequences because of it? Please, can anyone help with this particular problem?

Hi. I'm a medical student and I think I could provide you some exact information about the condition you’ve mentioned.
In most cases -tonsillitis refers to inflammation of the pharyngeal tonsils but the inflammation may involve other areas of the throat including the adenoids and the lingual tonsils.
It can be caused by viruses and bacteria. In most cases bacterial tonsillitis can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes—the organism that causes strep throat. Viruses that can cause this inflammation are herpes simplex virus, Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), cytomegalovirus, adenovirus, and the measles virus. Earlier, tonsillectomy was much more present but these days- this condition can be treated effectively with home care or antibiotics. Person that had tonsils removed- is in danger to develop some much more serious infections because tonsils help filter out harmful bacteria and viruses which next stop is- lungs!