Hello. My wife has been recently diagnosed diabetes type 2. She is on medications and diet. For now, she seems well. However, I would like to know something more about possible complications. What can a patient with this disease expect? I would appreciate your advices. Thanks in advance for all your replies, guys.

Hello, there. All diabetes complications can be divided into acute and chronic. The most important and dangerous acute complication is ketoacidosis. It can lead to diabetic coma. It is rare with type 2, although it is more common for elder people suffering from this type of diabetes. Chronic complications are usually a result of fatty plaques in blood vessels. There are eye problems (retinopahy), cardiovascular diseases, kidney diseases, gastric and bowel problems. They can also have skin problems, but depression can appear as well. That is why it is important to be very regular in treatment measurements. Talk to your wife’s doctor and ask him/her everything you are interested in.