Hi, guys. My friend is 16 years old. He has been recently discovered diabetes mellitus. I know that this is very difficult for him. I would want to know if diabetes can be a life-threatening condition. What do you know about this? I would appreciate if anyone could answer me this.

Hello. Diabetes mellitus used to be really dangerous disease. People were dying due to its acute complications. Diabetic ketoacidosis used to have a mortality of 100%. Insulin discovery changed all that. However, I think that nowadays chronic complications are the ones that are life threatening. Kidney failure is very common complication. Diabetics also suffer from various eye diseases. I am afraid that regular treatment does not help much when chronic complications are involved. Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean that your friend will necessarily suffer from them. It is important to take his therapy regularly and visit his doctor. Many people with diabetes live long.