I originally went to the Dr. because I had been losing weight and always felt tired. I was told I had high levels of key-tones and blood in my urine, then after blood tests I was told my iron was at just under 6% and my hemoglobin count is 8. I understand some of this but was told by a pharmacist that it will take me about 2 years of taking iron supplements to get back to normal. We are still running tests to see how I am losing blood; but can you explain to me how low these levels really are and if there is anything I can do to feel better and have more energy in the interim?

Listen, you really don't have to be that scared. Generally, a slightly low hemoglobin count isn't always a sign of illness. I know it because I have it and I live normally with it. Also, women who are pregnant commonly have low hemoglobin counts. I know that I run some test and doctor told me that I have lower hemoglobin A1C levels which were not that scary. On the other hand, it can happen if you are diagnosed with some health issue. Sure, you can use some products that contain iron, but I would not do anything on my own hand since you don't know exactly what is causing this. Talk to your doctor and ask him about some supplements to improve it. Good luck. 

Besides taking the iron supplements, you need to adjust your diet to have more iron-rich food, like lean red meats - beef, pork, lamb, but also seafood, beans and of course, spinach and a lot of other greens, vegetables and fruit. On the other hand, like you said, you need to find out the reason why is this all happening - you have blood loss through urine, but that also could mean that there is some infection in your body which can also contribute to lowering red blood cells count.

This kind of disease are very much effective in making the side effect to the body and reduce the immune system. It will be better to take a cure from doctor.....