There are several things to keep in mind when setting out to buy running shoes. If you purchase a shoe that is not right for your foot, you can suffer the consequences. Things like shin splints, tendonitis, and plantar faciatis are all things that can happen if you don't where the proper shoes. Basically, you set yourself up for injury.

Purchasing a good running shoe is truly an art. There are so many different brands, it can be hard to find the one that is perfect for you. That is why it is important to speak with experts to help you through the process. However, it is possible to find the best shoe for you on your own. Here is some advice on how to buy running shoes.

What Kind of Support?

One thing that needs to be considered when purchasing running shoes is the amount of support needed in the shoe. And what you need will depend on the unique needs of your foot and the way you run. Some people have a perfectly even footprint; others weigh heavily on either side of the foot. Determine what kind of print you have in order to figure out the type of shoe you will need. Manufacturers understand that everyone is different so most offer styles that will accommodate a range of needs.

Consult With a Specialist

It is a good idea to visit a specialty store if you want to figure out what type of shoe will work best for you. Not only do they understand what kinds of shoes work best for your unique support needs, but they can also recommend a shoe that will work for your lifestyle. For example, if you need to run a marathon in the shoe and it will only be used for that race, you will need a much different shoe if you are just a casual runner or even a trail runner.

Do Your Research

Before you set out to the store, research to help find the best shoe for your needs. Read product reviews of all the latest models. Speak with people who run and who use particular shoes, and see what prices to expect when you go to a store. Resist the urge to buy your first pair of shoes online. You will want to visit a store so you can try them on. Once you find a brand and a model that works well for you, you can buy other pairs online for less.

Make Sure They Fit

Another important factor is to make sure your shoes fit. Some people take different sizes while they are running than they do for their every day shoes. This is because the foot tends to expand, especially if running long distances. Ill fitting shoes can result in injury and can also cause the skin under your toe nails to bruise which will cause the toenails to fall off. Finding the right shoes is definitely important for your health and enjoyment of the sport.

This may be the most important thing you can do. Please dont just to to a footlocker or champs etc... Go to a specialty shop were you can ask questions and get real answers.
One more thing is dont ever ever buy a shoe for the way it looks but for the way it performs and fits.

How do I know if the shoe has too much stability? I was told i mildly pronate on my left side.After a 6 mile run yesterday both knees were achey.I am a bit out of shape since my last race-LA in March-and am just starting to do more outdoor running(off the treadmill and over 3 miles) so was this the cause of the acheyness? I havehad a hard time with shoes.I run in Adidas because of the arch support and I like the way they feel.Also the toebox is nice and wide.These were Supernova controls but last years version.I have the GCS from this year andthey don't feel as stiff.lso I run in Rotterdams which are light but feel great and supportive.Thanks again :?

I have friends who just grab any pair of running shoes and decide they are going to be runners - they come back with injuries like hurt knees, ankles, arch. The right pair of shoes is so important and different for everyone. Thanks for sharing this and it's definitely something I think about when I am getting a new pair of shoes. Speaking of - I'm almost due for a pair soon!!

Would someone provide some insight or thoughts on what type of shoe to wear during a race for 90% soft packed dirt? Trail runners, racing flats or just your regular run training shoes?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I answered my own question. The race was the Boulder Marathon and the trail was on 80% soft dirt the rest on road. Used my Saucony Fast Twitch racing flats and I seemed to manage well in them. The bad news, they are no longer white but dirt brown ..uugh!

I ran into this topic just when I needed some new shoes. Thanks for the advice. I always thought that people who worked in shoe-shops were experts on what they sold.

Some great advice. But no, it certainly wouldn't be accurate to think that sales assistants in all sports shops know what they are talking about.

Specialist running stores are the best place to go, but even then I'd use my judgement to see if they know what they're talking about.

Running shoes may be one of the most important things to get right, whether you're a beginner or advanced runner.

One last point, when you find a pair that you particularly like, buying a couple of pairs can extend the lifespan of each.

Jago
www.couchto-5k.com