my son has stopped smoking marijuana, he is releasing bits of black when he spits up, is this part of the cleansing process?

It’s good for your son that he has decided to stop smoking marijuana and of course he is suffering some consequences now. As far as I know, people smoking marijuana are more psychically addicted to it and not smoking it for some longer time could make them troubles but this what your son is now going through is not that common for the marijuana consumers. What I know is that people who smoke marijuana often develop the same kind of breathing problems that cigarette smokers have and if your son is a smoker then it’s more likely this black spit is just the consequence of too much nicotine and carbon in his lungs. It’s natural that when your son is coughing, he would spit out the mass like you mentioned. However, try to convince your son that smoking both marijuana and cigarettes are not good for him (like it’s not good for anyone!) and keep supporting him in his decision to cease smoking!