Hi, how many smokers are there on this board? I am a smoker for 15 years, and I don’t have any health related problems yet. What about you?

Hi, I smoked only for three years. Fortunately, I realized on time how destructive nicotine is to our body, so I quit. I enjoyed smoking for the first two years, but third year was just a habit. I noticed that my teeth were losing their whiteness, my breath always smelled on cigarettes and my nails on the right hand were yellow. But what I hated most is the knowledge that I’m addicted to something. These reasons are nothing compare to all diseases that smokers have big chances to get. For example several types of cancer, blood vessel diseases and heart problems. If you don’t have any nicotine-related diseases yet, it’s not too late to quit.

I have never smoked, and I never will. Honestly, even if you do not have any symptoms or ill health right now, I would stop. My granddad smoked, and he died of lung cancer. I think this was really sad, because I would have loved to talk to him, especially about his experiences in WWII, but he died before I was born and I never got to even meet him. If you have a family, you could try and use that as a reason to quit smoking! I'm sure that right now it must seem like there's nothing even wrong with smoking to you, since you don't have any health issues. But even if health is not a problem with you, think about how much money you are wasting. I'm not sure how much cigarettes cost wherever you live, but here (New Zealand) they cost about $12 a pack, I think. Even if you only smoke two packs a week, you are wasting over $1200 a year. (This is all in new zealand dollars - if you use USD it will be roughly double, pounds about triple). Think about it - you are spending over $1200 on your own death certificate. You could put that money towards something so much better than your own death. :-)