I have to admit I like to smoke dry, shredded green/brown mix of flowers, stems, seeds, and leaves of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. Usually I smoke it as a cigarette, known as joint. I have habit of smoking marijuana for few years already. Now I want to hear more about marijuana, what you could tell me. How does it affect my lungs and my body?

Beside form of join, marijuana is also smoked in blunts. These cigars have been emptied of tobacco and refilled with marijuana. Often this is made in combination with another drug beside marijuana. It might include mixing marijuana in food or brewing it as a tea. As marijuana is more concentrated, it is called hashish and, as a sticky black liquid, hashes oil. Marijuana smoke has a pungent and distinctive, sweet-and-sour odor. Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the world, and the main active chemical in marijuana is THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. The membranes of certain nerve cells in the brain contain protein receptors that bind this substance. Marijuana use also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract. This happens because it contains irritants and carcinogens; in fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs’ exposure to this carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may increase the risk of cancer more than smoking tobacco.

Actually, the two active ingredients in marijuana, Thc and Cbd have anti-cancer effects that negate (and may even cure) the other cancer causing chemicals like carbon monoxide. But just because it wont give you lung cancer doesnt mean it doesnt hurt your lungs. Smoke of any kind damages your lung capacity and puts extra stress on your body.