I was wondering if eating a lot of fat affects my blood sugar levels? If so, will eating fat make it difficult for me to control my blood sugar levels? I've heard that there are good fats and bad fats particularly for diabetics. Does anyone know what they are? Some of my friends are telling me that too much fat and particularly bad fat can cause blood glucose levels to rise during the day making it difficult to get sugar levels under control. Is this true? One of my problems is fried chicken and barbecue ribs. I just love them and eat way to much. I don't feel well after I do that.

Yes, there is a connection with eating fat and blood sugar control. Most fats are difficult to digest and absorb so they come into your system slowly. Some fat will be stored in fat tissue while others are converted into glucose and used as energy. If you're diabetic, this means you will have more sugar in your blood. The key is that some fat you eat will be converted into glucose. Biochemically this is known as gluconeogenesis. You need to keep a close eye on your fat intake. Not only how much but what kind. Most fats come in the form of long-chain fatty acids (triglycerides). Your diet should be low in these. There are natural saturated fats that are good for you as well as mono- and polyunsaturated fats. What fats are good for you seems to be somewhat controversial so you may need to consult with your doctor on this one. As far as fried chicken goes, try frying (sautee) your chicken in a skillet with a small amount of olive oil (low temp) without any breading. If you leave the skin on, the chicken will be somewhat crispy and flavorable but without grease soaked breading. You know, if you get fried chicken from a fast food place, it seems that most of it is greasing breading. Good luck if you can find the chicken. As far as ribs go, I love them too, but I save them for special occasions and only eat a couple of them (small ones).

Eating fat will not interfere with your blood sugars.  There are healthy fats and unhealthy fats, that is true.  You will want to incorporate good fats into your diet, like monosaturated and polysaturated fats.  Saturated fats and trans fats are the fats you should eliminate or use sparely.  You can try eating broiled chicken cooked with some herbs to help make it more flavorful since you mentioned you love fried chicken.  The barbeque ribs would be heavy in sugar so you may want to find a recipe that calls for less sugar, maybe agave syrup that is known to release slower into the bloodstream than sugar.  Does anyone else have any great recipes to share?