My daughter is 17 years old and she has to absent from her school for a couple of days because she is having problems with a dry cough that is persistent. I don't know is it now the right time time for me to take her to the doctor, but I know that she never went to see him for things like that. I hope that this is not serious. Also, somehow I don't trust doctors so I think that we can manage to heal it at home.

What are the best natural cough remedies for persistent and dry coughs? Do you have some of them?

Tnx!

Hey Immani,

How can it be that you don't trust doctors? I have to criticize your attitude towards doctors because they all became doctors in order to help people so you should have some faith in them.

You daughter needs honey and licorice root tea. Both of these have proven to be very effective against dry coughs, I give these to my kids when they catch a cold or have a flu, they always end up with dry coughs once they catch a cold and these things are really useful, they always work. I guess you can try them out and see for yourself.

I usually just gargle salt water when I'm having a dry cough. I have no idea why does this work but it works like charmed and it always gets me to feel better. I am not saying that your daughter shouldn't talk to her doctor, she should definitely talk to her doctor in order to find out what caused her dry cough (if you are not already sure that this was caused by just some flue or a cold) but I would still treat it in a natural way rather than with medications, I can agree with you on this one.

Anything warm or hot to drink is good. My mom used to make me sugar and milk and it always worked great for my coughs, plus it has an awesome taste.

So you take like 3-4 tea spoons of sugar and put it inside your coffee pot and heat it up. When it becomes kind of liquidish, you poor milk inside and keep it on the fire until you notice that there is no sugar on the bottom of the coffee pot (sometimes the sugar goes hard so you have to wait until it melts again and disappears inside the milk).

Hey, my mom used to make that for me as well when I was so little, you kind of brought some nice memories back. It tastes just like chocolate milk, that was my favorite kind of treatment (I didn't really like any of the others actually). My mom also made me take hot showers when I had a bad cough because she used to say that steam can help a lot, I never really understood why but whenever I did what my mom told me to do and drink what she told me to drink, I would always get better and fast.

I use apple vinegar when I'm having a bad cough, that is what my aunt taught me once and it always helps. You just put 2-3 tea spoons of apple vinegar in 200 ml of water and you just gargle it. If you can put more vinegar, if it is not disgusting for you, it will be a lot better. I usually try and gargle it for about 30 minutes and I get better as soon as I'm done with it. You can give it a try, I hated it for the first time because of the vinegar but it gets easier later.

The best option is definitely a doctor. I don't see any other reason since she is fighting against this for a long time now, right? How is she now anyway?

Generally, there are couple of remedies that might can help. For this you are going to  need : one tablespoon of organic , raw honey. But remember, organic honey! 

Here is what you need to do - one tablespoon of honey and you will have to take it 1-3 times daily as needed in order to control your coughing. Take it when you get up and when you go to sleep. Tell this to your daughter and try with it. 

I have tried to tell her to use this honey in order to help her, but it seems to me that this didn't help her a lot. I saw some changes, that she is getting better, but I don't see that she is getting too much better. She told me that there is no need for her to go to the doctor because this will go away one day. I am scared for her and I don't know how to tell her that this is the best option. I am scared that this might attack her lungs or something else. She doesn't want to take it seriously...

I remember that one day my good friend gave me an amazing natural remedy for cough. It really helped me back than so I really hope that this is going to help your daughter as well. It is Licorice root tea. 

Here is what you are going to need: two tablespoons of dried licorice root an 2 liters of fresh water. 

You should bring this water to a boil and place some licorice root in the mug. Cover this root with water and leave it for 10 - 15 minutes. Drink this tea, for entire cup up to 2 times per day. 

Remedies can't be simple as that! Why don't you give her just hot water with salt? This is really helpful and I use it every time when I have problems with cough. But, if this can't help her, try with onion, some honey and lemon. Boil water with onion and leave it to get cold. After that add some honey and lemon and than drink it for a whole day. It is going to help her very soon to get rid of that cough. But visiting the doctor must be an option, especially because she is coughing for a long time now. It can be something worse. Try to convince her...