I am struggling with non - productive cough for a while now. I remember when I find out that I am dealing with it. My doctor told me and he tried to explain to me what this is, but nothing. I was not really able to understand and to be honest, I haven't tried to understand it at all because I believed that this will go away. But no. It is still here and it is annoying. There is one thing that I really want to know about this - can non-productive cough be chronic and how to treat it?

Hey Guest,

Non productive cough is also called a dry cough, meaning that you are coughing but no mucous is coming out of your mouth.

Well, it is said that dry cough can be chronic but I wouldn't really call that a chronic cough. In this particular case, chronic dry cough is any dry cough that lasts for longer than 8 weeks and is usually caused by tobacco use, postnasal drip, asthma and acid reflux. This is why I wouldn't really call this a chronic cough: once you treat the underlying problem, in other words, once you treat what is causing it, the cough will be gone.

Yeah, it can be chronic but it can still be treated without much trouble, at least I think so, some people say that you have to experience things first in order to be able to talk about them and I never really had a chronic dry cough but I still think that it is something that it should be easy to treat, you just have to figure out what is causing it.

You should talk to your doctor in order to find out what exactly is the cause of your dry cough and then you can think about the way of treating it.

It goes like this, if you get a bad dry cough and if you do not treat it and it doesn't go away on its own, after some time your dry cough becomes chronic dry cough.

It shouldn't be hard to treat, you just need to figure out what caused your dry cough in the first place. If you let your dry cough go on for some time, if you let it become chronic, it is probably going to be a bit harder for you to find the cause of your dry cough but it is definitely possible, your doctor should help you out.

Hello everyone. 

Maybe it can be. Like one person once told me, you can't be sure with a dry cough. And you really can't. 

It can cause a persistent cough. A chronic cough that is lasting for more than eight weeks is common and can be considered as a persistent cough, but I don't think that we can call it a chronic. 

According to some statistics, 10 to 20 percent of the adults who were dealing with non - productive cough later had an issue with a chronic cough.

It is not that easy to treat it...At least, I am pretty sure that you can't treat it alone, without getting anyone's help. 

I had problems with it for more than two weeks. Those two weeks seems to me like a very, very long period and I just can't imagine what is going on with those people who are dealing with it longer than me. But I just couldn't stand anymore. Doctors gave me some syrups and I am sure that none of them were helpful.

So I got scared as well that this can be chronic because I really don't know how to heal it. I have no idea and it bothers me. So, I found this site and maybe it can be helpful to you as well. It is the same thing as dry cough, so here is a link where you can find more information.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/how-to-treat-dry-cough.

Good luck.

Hello. 

God, it can be chronic and you can treat it without having any problems. I don't know why some of you are in such a panic about this after two or three weeks and if one syrup was not good for them, they think that nothing can't help them.

Get real a little bit, ok?

You need to follow some tips, such as prevent dehydration. We all do know that fluids may help thin secretions and soothe an irritated throat. Dry, hacking coughs respond to honey in hot water, tea, or lemon juice. Drink it and soon you will be able to see that your cough is going away.