Hey guys,

I have this terribly persistent dry cough, I talked to my father over skype and I have no idea why but I told him about this dry cough that I am having and he told me that I have to take care of it because this can cause some additional health problems. I didn't know that before and now I am curious to know what health problems can persistent dry cough cause because I don't really think that it can cause any so prove me wrong. Does anybody here know anything about this? Please go ahead and share it with me.

Hi Guest,

It is true but it is not very likely that you are going to develop any of these health problems only because of your dry cough.

Let's see, persistent coughing can lead to urinary incontinence in women, especially if you are an older woman, pregnant woman, or if you have been pregnant before. People who are suffering from a persistent dry cough tend to be tired all the time because their cough doesn't let them sleep well, dry coughing can sometimes cause vomiting, and headaches may result from a persistent dry cough.

If your coughing is really severe, pulled chest muscles and even fractured ribs are a possible complication.

Headaches are probably the most common thing that can happen if you are experiencing dry cough. At least that is what happens with me, every single time that I've had a persistent dry cough, I've always had these bad headaches, it is like these two things always go together. I don't really know about any other problems which could be caused by dry cough, I am not saying that Chameleon Color is not right or anything, I am just saying that your father is probably never going to get any health problems just due to a persistent dry cough which he might be experiencing.

You are going to be fine, just find a way to treat your dry cough and that's it, I think that some syrups from the pharmacy should do the trick. It is just how all parents are, didn't you learn that already? They are oversensitive when it comes to their kids, especially when their health is in question. I remember the times when I would catch a cold or something, my mother wouldn't move from my side until I'd get better. She used to make me teas and keep me warm with blankets and stuff... And I am the same kind of parent today.

I guess that you are right, all parents are really like that (well, most of them) but I still wouldn't want to develop another health problem only because I was too lazy to treat my dry cough, you know. Even this dry cough is hard enough and my sleep is not really good, just like one of you mentioned already so I guess that it is time for me to do what I can in order to treat this. I never really did anything in order to treat my dry cough but I guess that I will go to the pharmacy this time and ask about some medications for this matter.

Hello.

I am glad that you asked.

The worst thing that can happen to you is asthma. Usually, this cough becomes connected to asthma and asthma - related cough may come and go with the seasons as well. Sometimes even can appear after an upper respiratory tract infection.

The worst thing can happen when you are exposed to cold air or certain chemicals or fragrances. In one type of asthma, a cough is a main symptom.

A lot of people have this theory that this cough will go away by itself. Sure, it can happen. But if it continues after a couple of days or even one week, you should do something about it. 

I had this problem a lot of times. This persistent dry cough was there, then it was over...and that is why I never went to see my doctor about this. Until one day. I catch a cold when I was relaxing at the mountain and I started to cough a lot. I bought syrup that I am always using, but this cough just didn't want to go away. So, I went to see my doctor. That was the best move I did. I found out that a cough can linger long after other symptoms of pneumonia, flu, a cold or other infection of the upper respiratory tract have gone away. So, you are guessing - I had this infection as well.

I was reading somewhere that persistent dry cough can cause bronchitis as well. 

Now, whenever I have problems with a cough, I am at my doctor's office. I don't want to have more serious issues. I asked him about this and he confirmed me. According to his words, this long-standing inflammation of your major airways (or bronchial tubes) can cause a cough that brings up colored sputum. Most people with chronic bronchitis are current or former smokers, which is not my problem since I am not a smoker, but I can't help it. I am scared of having this and rather I'll go to see my doc.