Hi, I am a thirty years old woman. Beside some usual health problems, I have never suffered from some serious condition. However, for the past couple of months I have been experiencing dry cough. I do not have any other symptoms so I am very curious what can cause it. I didn't go to see a doctor because I believe that this couldn't be anything serious. Can you help me to identify the cause of my problem with persistent dry cough?

Hi, dry cough can be caused by a variety of things. Inhaling very dry or heated air can produce this effect with some people. Post nasal drip and asthma can affect you in this way as well. Environmental irritations or allergies are also found to be causes of dry cough. Since you are experiencing this condition for some time now, my guess is that your dry cough comes from irritation made by cigarette smoke. You failed to mention whether you or someone in your surrounding smokes. However, you should see a doctor because this is only one of the options. You can see that, because there are many things that could be responsible for dry cough, without proper exams there is no way to tell what the cause of your dry cough is. After performing these tests the doctor will determine the right cause of your dry cough and suggest a treatment suited for your condition.