I've been recently diagnosed w/ pancreatic divisum. I have pain in my abdomen which radiates to my back most days and have been using tramadol daily for 6 months, which gives me headaches and/or constipation if I go over 100 mg. Some days are worse than others; my abdomen swells, and gets tender to the touch, and sometimes I run a low fever. I'd like to take less medication and/or medication with fewer side effects at higher doses, and would like to know if there is a helpful diet for this condition or if you have any other suggestions to help make the pain more bearable. My doctor is not very forthcoming with information. He just says to keep taking the medication, and basically, live with it. It's also pretty hard to get an appointment with him (3 months out at this point), so any advice/information you could give me would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there, unfortunately I don't have any ideas on diets or medication that you can take but I do have a question. Is this the only doctor you can talk to because it sounds like he is not being very helpful and I know you could do better. Can you get a second opinion? I hope that you can. Let me know!

Sadly, the state in which I live has been having a major exodus of doctors, so I don't have many to choose from. The doctor I'm seeing is booking 3 months out at this time. I do have a primary care doctor who can, hopefully, help me sort out what I should do next. I'm also considering seeing a naturopath to help with supplements and diet. Thanks for you comment!

Hi, I have been diagnosed with pancreatic divisum last year and have received great care from my Doctor. My Doctor is located in New York City and is one of the best experts in this condition. Unfortunately there're no treatments beside surgery or having a stent put in, which is an endoscopic procedure and there're some risks involved with it as with any surgery. I definitely didn't want to go that route and I was able to control my condition with proper mediation and diet. My Doctor prescribed pancreatic enzymes, which I take with each meal. They're completely natural, safe, and basically help your pancreas digest the food that you eat. I have absolutely no symptoms from the enzymes and have been taking them ever since I have been diagnosed with this condition. As far as diet, it’s basically just a healthy diet. You can pretty much eat anything just as long as it's smaller portions and stay away from fried, heavy foods. Anything lean, backed, steamed, grilled is very good. Lean meats and fish is very good. Vegetables and fruits are also fine. Pastas with heavy sauces may be too heavy well. Heavy soups, like bisques, or anything that maybe cream based might be too heavy as well. Since it does affect the pancreas, my Doctor told me to watch the alcohol intake. You can have 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks, just as long as it’s in moderation. If you start feeling pains when you drink, then obviously stop drinking alcohol all together. If you need to take something like an aspirin, he told me to switch from Advil to Tylenol. I hope this helps, but I would definitely stop taking tramadol. This is a condition that you need to live with for the rest of your life, so might as well find the safest, most natural way to control it.

I was diagnosed with pancreatic divisum in 1997. I had to have stints placed as frequent episodes mandated treatment. My first stint gave excellent results for about 18 months. I did go to a low fat diet and added digestive enzymed ( Creon ) to diet. Episodes started repeating and more stints ( larger) were tried. Eventually my episodes resulted in some 30 hospitalizations and multiple ERCP's and 8 stinting procedures. In 2000, I had the Peaustew procedure done. They also removed gall bladder and about 40% of pancreas due to scarring and calcification. I wish I had the procedure earlier in an attempt to save more of my pancreas. I have had 3 episodes since the operation, and have became a diabetic. I hope this helps you really consider your options, as well as consequences from decisions. I have been very disappointed in the communication between doctors through this ordeal.

I am 15 and diagnosed with it back in February. I have back pain & Im on a diet for 6 months I can only eat 20 grams of fat a day. I have back pains, and Im always sick anymore I've missed so much school I'll be surprised if I pass. If I eat food thats more than 20 grams I hurt really bad, my cheeks turn red and Im hurting the rest of the day. I can only eat 6 grams a meal. I really hate it..

Hi my name is paulina and im 26 ive also been diagnosed with panc divisum this year april 2013. It all started last year in june when I suffered pain on the left side and vomiting and extremely painful ... this episode led me to hospital where I stayed for a week. Two weeks later I had another attack which was more severe. After all these tests and examinations they have no answer what else they can do the problem is I still suffer from back pain bloating and continuous vomiting whenI eat something ... I eat healthy and stay away from fatty foods and milk. Its very unfortunate the lifestyle one can live. Im still in treatment but unfortunately not much can be done.

I have pancreatic divisum.  The worst for me is back pain on the right side from top of my head to my e waists.  I use an electric heating  pad on my back to lessen the tight back muscles and headache.  I do takes aspirin and I eat comfort food for me Farina made with water and sugar to sweeten it.  I microwave the farina in a Pyrex 4 cup (making one cup portion) and use the hot Pyrex resting on my abdomen as heat to help abdomen pain.  I recently also discovered candy helps with headache. I sleep a lot because of debilitating pain.  I find that only time alleviates the pain until next time.  

hi im 17 years old and i started having symptoms july 16th 2012 wheni was 16. its hard to talk to someone who doesnt know what your going through so please contact me! i need someone to talk to because as you know its soo fustrating! everythig youve said in here relates to me.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi
Could you possibly provide the name of your doctor in NYC?

I have also been diagnosed with abnormal pancreatic head and duodenal sweep configuration which is consistent with pancreatic segmentation anomaly such as pancreas divisum or annular pancreas. I have problems with doing physical activity causing my right side to feel like there is a balloon inside along with pain that wraps around the inside of my right rib and radiates to my lower back. Also, wondering if anyone has problems with the blood flow being blocked off causing gray/black patches in left eye which are occasional.

Hi Lorie...i can totally relate to this. I was diagnosed with pancreatic divisum 3 -4 years ago...been so sick with nausea..right sided pain..that goes into my back...i really wish there was a good doctor that specializes in this disorder. Im scared. If you find out a good specialist or vice versa let me know. Good luck

Hi my name is Claudia, I was wondering does anyone get really tired and worn out from having this. It seems no matter what i eat I am in pain for about 5 minutes sometimes randomly throughout the night i wake up crying in pain? is anyone one here english and under Dr Ainley? He seems to be the leading doctor in England. Also does anyone get pain after they have been exercising? 

Hi, I also have pancreatic divisum. I have had 4 stints and numerous visits to the ER. In SC we have a pancreas specialist at the Medical University of South Carolina , it's in Charleston SC.They are the best.
My last visit was May 25th, 2016 my doctor put a stent in the bile duct.
I will be returning in 2 months for another procedure this procedure will open up the duct bigger and then two months later, I will return for one more procedure., this way he is gradually stretching the duct so that it won't close up again.

Hello. Just been diagnosed with pancreatic divisum after acute pancreatitis. My doctor mentioned the procedure done by endoscopy via stents. What risks are involved in this procedure or surgery? Which option is the best? I have had a lot of pain and didn't know why just now at the beginning of December had acute pancreatitis and led me to hospital.
Andrea