Hi, I'm 22 years old and recently I had a nasty fall during a basketball game. The result of the game for me was a twisted ankle. I went to the hospital right after it happened. The orthopedist had my ankle setup back in the original place since it was dislocated. The doctor told me that I have something called peroneal subluxation, so he had to put short-leg cast on my ankle for the injury to heal. He also told me that if physical therapy I'm in now doesn’t work and if the injury doesn’t heal I'm going into surgery. What is peroneal subluxation, if I go to the surgery will I be able to fully recover?

Peroneal subluxation is condition that usually happens when some trauma like twisting the ankle happens. Peroneal muscles are two muscles in the lower leg which’s contraction cause the foot to go down and in the side (laterally). Their tendons are connected to the bones of the foot on the lower side of the foot. To get to the lower side of the foot tendons have to pass through a bone groove covered by a ligament called retinaculum. The basic purpose of the retinaculum is to keep the tendons in the groove so they wouldn’t slip off the bone and out of the groove during the contraction. In peroneal subluxation the retinaculum breaks so the tendons are free to go out of the groove and over the outer ankle which causes pain. In your case the doctor has decided to take a conservative approach and give time to the retinaculum to heal by itself. If that doesn’t happen in 4 – 6 weeks surgery will be necessary. Surgeon will try to reconstruct the retinaculum and restore the normal function of the foot. The recovery should be total with physiotherapy, of course. Good luck and get back to us and let us know if you got any better.