Hi, I have 90 year old grandfather, who wants to take chat are his coronary bypass surgery. We are very concerned about him. Is this reasonable? What are his chances to survive?

Popular term, "bypass" actually means rerouting blood vessels around clogged arteries to improve blood flow in heart and it’s oxygenation. With progression of atherosclerosis arteries in heart muscle (coronary arteries) may become clogged by plaque, which is consisted of fat, cholesterol, some cells. Stopping or slowing of heart blood flow leads to chest pain and heart attack. Bypass enables better nourishment of heart muscle and disappearance of pain. If the 90 year old patient is in really good health condition, and doctors agree that he could undergo such surgery it’s reasonable to take bypass. But, I in my opinion even biggest professionals with all necessary inquiries couldn’t give certain answer to such a delicate question.

I just had this don at 92 years and I am doing fine.

Was this your first?
I had it done at 56, I'm 73 now and I expect I'll have to have it done again. I don't think it will last forever.