I would like to know all there is to know about trichomoniasis. I am 17 and I am planning to become sexually active. I am worried about STD and all sorts of infections. That is why I would like if someone could tell me more about it.

It is nice to hear that some one is acting responsible. I will try to be as clear as possible about what you want to know. Trichomoniasis is vaginal infection. It causes the vulva to become sore, red and inflamed and the most notable symptom is a foamy, yellow greenish vaginal discharge. Some women with this diagnosis hurt to urinate. The organism that causes these symptoms is a parasite in the vaginal mucus. It spreads through penetrative vaginal sex and the exchange of vaginal fluid. When the infection occurs, it is important to talk with your partner about this because he also needs to be treated. This way, it is possible to prevent the re-infection and the cycle of infection to be broken. Treatment is usually antibiotics taken by mouth. Infection in men often does not cause any symptoms. That is why testing, treatment and the use of condoms are advised. I hope that my advices will be of help in the future, and remember that the right way to have sex is only with protection.