I have a friend who is scared she might be infected with trichomoniasis, or trich, and trick, how she calls it. I know that is an inflammation of the vaginal canal caused by a protozoan. We both know it is considered a sexually transmitted disease. Since it causes vulvar itching and an odorous vaginal discharge I understand she is afraid if she has already noticed these symptoms. Can you tell us more about trichomoniasis, anything you think it could be helpful.

Trichomoniasis is sexually transmitted disease that cause the vaginal discharge is often yellowish-green in color and is malodorous. However, about 50% of women are as-symptomatic carriers, while the other 50% complain are different. They complain of vaginal discharge, odor, and vulvar itching and burning, as I believe your friend experienced. If trichomoniasis is left untreated, it may progress to a urethritis or cystitis, which is definitely not recommended. It may be associated with vulvar itching and burning, redness and swelling. That is why, if she doubt she could done microscopic examination of vaginal secretions in saline, which can shows moving organisms. The trophozoites are about the size of a white blood cell with three flagella that cause the movement we could see in culture. Spun urine can be used as a screening test but it is less sensitive, somewhere about 64% of those with positive cultures, than vaginal fluid exam. However, when both are used together pick up about 85% of those who are culture positive. Topical metronidazole gel is not recommended because it is not absorbed well enough to produce blood levels that can eradicate trichomonas vaginalis.