One week ago, I was stupid enough to have sex with stranger, without protection. Few days after this, I have noticed foul odor in my vagina and a yellow discharge. I was worried so normally, I went to my gynecologist. She told me I have been infected with trichomonasis. I would appreciate some additional information about this, because I do not know anything about this.

Trichomonas vaginalis is a microscopic parasite that is found all around the world. Infection with this parasite is called trichomoniasis. This is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases, mainly affecting sexually active women. Trichomonas infection is spread through sexual activity and it is especially common among women who have multiple sexual partners. Signs of infection are foul smelling, discharge from the vagina, vaginal redness and itching, and sometimes-painful sexual intercourse. Symptoms are often sudden and they occur during or after menstruation, because of the increased vaginal acidity. The normal incubation period of Trichomonas vaginalis is between 4 and 28 days, which means that time you will not know you are infected. The infection is treatable and the treatment consists of antibiotics, I believe your doctor prescribed you already. The dosage of the antibiotics can get higher in case if the first treatment did not work, but this is something your doctor will check. It is important to have protected sex, to decrease the chances for sexually transmitted diseases, so in the future, be smart and protect yourself.