Good day everyone. I remember that during one exam, my doctor told me that because of the some symptoms that I have a huge chance to be diagnosed with coronary artery anomaly. He also saw this on ECG but he also told me that that I can’t be stressed and that I don’t need to force myself and stress myself without any reasons. Now, maybe it seems silly to you but in a few weeks there is a huge concert of my favorite band – Coldplay in Indianapolis. And I really want to go there, but my friend told me that I should not because I can get this. I am not sure. Can I? And, one more thing – how to prevent coronary artery anomaly?

Hey there. I am not so sure that you can prevent it. But if you already have this diagnose, you need to know that there are some treatment options that you need to know – medical treatment or observation, coronary angioplasty with stent and at least, surgical repair. Now, despite the limitations surgery is maybe the only way to prevent fatal thing – the death. Surgery can also improve your lifestyle and those medical treatments, such as B blockers are very effective in patients. But of course, if there are treatment options I would like to know them as well. Thank you!

Good day two of you.

You can’t prevent coronary artery anomaly, but of course that you can prevent sudden death.  Usually, you can prevent it with medications such as beta blockers, who are going to help you to slow your heartbeat. Also, diuretics are good because they reduce excess fluid in the body and also relieve the stress on your heart’s pumping actions. Antiarrhythmic medicines are also good. They can help you regulator heartbeat as well. Oxygen therapy is also good, but I don’t know a lot about it. But sometimes, surgery is the only option. I hope that this can be treated with medicines. 

Wait, wait, wait! What do you mean when you say that you can't prevent it? How? I was totally sure that you can prevent almost every issue and almost everything if you are, for example eating right, eating clean, exercise, if you are not overweight, etc. Also, I was talking with my friend who told me that there are chances to prevent it, but I just can't remember what he told me. I am not saying that I have this issue 100 percent, but 99 percent I do. And you know - I am scared to death! And I don't want to use any pills because I am afraid of their side - effects...

Is your friend a consultant to your doctor?

When I was in cardiac rehab after having 6x bypass surgery they kept telling us you can prevent heart disease by following all those things. However there quite a few of us whose experience says otherwise.

My father had his heart attack just before his 56th birthday. He was a letter carrier at a time when they carried all the mail in those leather bags, no little Jeeps. He had been doing it for almost 20 years so it would seem he was probably well exercised. He ate all kinds of green stuff like dandelion greens rhubarb, fiddle head ferns and had quite a garden every year.

On the other hand I couldn't stand those greens so I lived on cheeseburgers and I had mine just before my 56th birthday. Our favorite saying in rehab when they told us you had to eat all the stuff they approved of to prevent heart attacks was "it's nearly impossible to beat your genes". Every one on my fathers side of the family had heart problems.

Good day there. Look, an anomalous coronary artery is actually a coronary artery that has an abnormality or malformation. The malformation is congenital, that is a condition that is present at birth, and is most often related to the origin of the coronary artery. However, there may be other defective areas in the coronary artery. ACA may also occur along with other congenital heart defects. I am not sure can you prevent it. You can try, that is not a problem and you can try to eat healthy, exercise enough because healthy lifestyle can help you in those. But I think that there is no other way to prevent it. Have a nice day.