Should I have a time in mind that I would like to come in under or just shoot to finish upright and in one piece?
I can swim 750m in just over 20 minutes, bike 20 k in an hour (little less, I always ride steep hilly areas and I doubt a tri course would be that steep) and run 5k in 30 minutes. Now, I've never done these things back to back to back so is it unrealistic to hope to finish my first sprint in under 2 hrs? I have six weeks more training time until the big day, and my bike and run at least are getting faster all the time.

Since it's your first, you can have a time in mind, but i wouldn't necessarily call it a goal time.

I agree with MB. Have something in mind but don't rule the day by it. So many things can happen during your first tri that you may not expect. Just make sure you go into the day and relax and enjoy the experience.

Have you done any open water swimming yet? That can be a deal breaker if you're not used to it. A really bad swim can ruin the rest of your race.

I'm waiting until the end of June and then I'm going to do all my swim training in open water. This is Canada and the water here is -480 degrees right now.

Does your transition time count overall?

I. don't. know. I"m assuming yes. But my transitions will be super speedy since I ride my bike in my running shoes with toe clips.

Yes. Very rarely there are logistic issues where they stop the clock to transport the whole field. I.e. Liberty to Liberty (Statue of Liberty to Liberty Bell)

You're going to have enough pressure and pre-race jitters, so don't even worry about your time for the first race.

Plus, the slower you go, the easier it will be to PR next time! :mrgreen: