I would like your take on Spinning Classes. Have any of you ever taken them for your Tri training? Our gym offers these classes and will they help give me a start?

Situation Marcie: 3 kids...usually has to get all workouts done at the gym b/c of kids...mountain bike in garage with flat tires...needs to start to think about incorporating the biking part for my training. Spinning classes ok????

Goal: Tri next summer

Currently: Running 30-35mpw & swimming 2 days/week

Just planning ahead. :D

sounds like your setting up a nice base for your tri next year....have not ever done spinning, but seeing my gym is closing, I need to find a new one, and hopefully they will have spinning as I hear great things about it, and living in the Northeast need some indoor winter training activities to stay in shape during those hibernation months.

How cold does it get in Phoenix over the winter? Maybe spinning classes are more popular over the summer there because it gets too hot. :shrug: Never done spinning classes, my gym has them, but it's never convenient for me to go. I'm sure they're excellent exercise though. From what I've read, you just need to find an instructor that makes them fun and challenging for you. BTW - Put some air in the tires of that MTB and GET OUT AND RIDE! ;)

I adore spin classes. I've never done a tri, but, I used spin classes as a big chunk of my training for the MS 150 the two times I've completed that. If you have a good instructor (very important unfortuantely) they will give you a fantastic workout that rivals speedwork cardio-wise. Your first time I recommend going early and talking to the instructor so they can help you fit the bike to yourself (remember your settings for the next time!) and have them explain the different terms they use (because it can get fast paced and they really abbreviate!). I found the classes really useful also because its great for hill training and I have a hard time finding hills in Houston. Its also good for speed/anaerobic as well. I highly highly highly recommend them. But, if you can get out maybe once a week and actually hit the pavement, I think that would be a really good start for your tri training, in my opinion.

Good luck! And PM with any questions, I love spinning. Bring a towel and lots of water, you'll sweat a bunch!

They are fun. A great way to get in a hard workout without worrying about getting dropped on a club ride.

These really helped my hill climbing when I repeated my frist tri.

Every instructor has there own style so try a few if you have the option.

I appreciate all of your input! :D I know that there's nothing better than getting out on the road for training, but I am so limited on time with the family. I will incorporate outside training as I approach the Triathlon/s next summer (it'll just have to be worked in). I'm still working on getting outside for my runs with this upcoming .5 marathon. I'll be lucky to get out once a week.

I am just trying to condition my body in all three facets and get all the muscle groups time strenghten. I feel that by doing so, I will be strong and ready. It's also mentally giving me that challenge to work through it too.

I will start the spinning classes sometime in November. Then...outside work after the AZ RnR.

PH...I agree...I need to pump up those bicycle tires!!!

Thank you! I love the support you've given me! :D