If you saw my other post, I'm planning my first Tri on Jul 6th. The biking and run give me no worries. Of course, it's the half-mile swim that's making me feel like a freshman.

What suggestions on gear, training, & actual race do you wish you'd known your first time out?

I'm assuming goggles & tri-suit, but does anything else help? Nose-plug? those rubber bottom swim shoes for lake swimming?

That whole site is good for training and other questions. The forum is a little dicey but some of them are nice people.
Oh, and remember to take the rocks out of your pockets before you jump in the pool. ;)

jrjo, I do my swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and have noticed that even in the warm summertime of Florida, my ears tend to get a bit of an ache to them, so, I went out and got myself some ear plugs. Just a little something to think about for that lovely Minnesota lake water.