I am worried that insulin is actually doing my body more harm than good. What will happen if I decide to stop taking insulin? I think I should be able to control my blood sugar with diet and exercise. Has anyone ever tried this? Have you stopped taking insulin for good? I'm hoping for some positive stories here because I don't want to take insulin any longer than I have to. 

Hi Guest,

Untreated, your diabetes will cause more harm than good.  Insulin occurs naturally in the body, created by the pancreas.

In some cases, by losing weight you may be able to get off of insulin.  It depends upon a number of factors including how much weight you lose.

Discuss this with your doctor.  They are familiar with your specific case.  Do NOT just stop taking it.

Good luck.

Have you spoken to your doctor about your fears? Some diabetics are eventually able to go off of insulin and treat their diabetes naturally with diet and exercise, but that is something that must be learned over time. I completely understand your fears about putting something artificial into your body. Are you on a synthetic insulin or a natural insulin?

I was able to go off insulin finally. I wasn't on it long because I was determined not to be taking any medications for it. I wanted to only use diet and exercise to keep my blood sugar within the recommended range. I lost more than 35 pounds and ditched all processed food, especially anything with GMOs in it. When I got those foods out of my house, weight started melting off. When my aunt got her diagnosis she never even started taking insulin. She controlled hers from day one with diet and exercise. She lost about 25 pounds, was still a lifelong diabetic and never took it. She passed away, but it wasn't from anything due to diabetes.

Do not stop taking your insulin. If you stop taking it, you will experience hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels). This can do serious damage to body and brain. Your doctor has put you on insulin for a reason. Apparently diet and exercise were not enough either because you were diagnosed late or you didn't watch your diet closely and exercise the way you should. I tend to think its a little late for just diet and exercise. However, you might talk with a homeopathist to see if they can help you since you have some concern about taking insulin for the long haul.

Before you do anything, make sure to consult with a doctor. Do not take matters into your own hands. Diabetes is a fairly complicated disease and requires serious attention. Many people have had their feet and legs amputated because of diabetes. A friend of mine almost lost his entire leg to diabetes and now he wears a prosthetic.