My husband had his tonsils taken out five days ago. He's still in a lot of pain. My question is this: Should I keep waking him every four hours throughout the night to take Lortab, or should I just let him sleep? I'm afraid that if he doesn't take it every four hours, he'll hurt even more later. But, on the other hand, if he takes it every four hours the entire time he's recovering, it'll be hell when he stops taking it.

Thanks.

Hi I'm 24 years old and just got my tonsils taken out 5 days ago .. you don't want your husband to wait trust me I did it the other day and you don't want the pain to come and then give him lortab it does say as needed but I found that when I took it every 4 - 6 hours I have minimal pain if your not to sure about lortab doctors tell us that we can take ibuprofen 600mg for the pain they did tell me if you are able to swallow the pill its a lot better the liquid ibuprofen if your not quite sure then I would ask his doctor whatever you do don't give him anything with acetaminophen since Lortab already contains it

Hi blizzy85,

Thanks for your suggestion! I am just afraid that he'll take too much--when I went to get the medicine at the pharmacy, the pharmacist mumbled something about 20 ml being a really high dose. Does anyone know if this is a high dose? I've read elsewhere that 10 ml is what many people get after they've had a tonsillectomy.

Thanks.

I only get 12 ML and my tonsils were extremely large for my age, I would probably call the doctor and double check that 20ML