Hi. I am 18 years old and I had a tonsillectomy on August 11th and then, due to bleeding, had another operation on August 17th during which my surgeon cauterized a few different spots. The recovery was very rough, but I am doing a lot better now. I am still taking Percocet for the pain (not very often, however), but I am able to eat basically any soft food like pasta, pudding, etc. However, while I am able to speak, my voice has a very strange nasal and almost cartoon-like quality to it. Sort of as though I swallowed a bunch of helium. My parents are insisting that this is only temporary because of the swelling in my mouth, etc, but I am very worried that this is a permanent change. Does anyone who has had a tonsillectomy in the past have any knowledge about this???? Thanks!

hey i thought i was the only one facing this problem. i am facing the exact same thing rite now. i am a 20 yr old man and had my surgery on the 18th of august and its been exactly 7 days now after the surgery. i have started experiencing post op bleeding since yesterday and that is really worrying me. i also feel like something is dripping down my throat. and its pretty constant and was wondering if it is blood or just a feeling in my head. i am dead worried about my voice. i sound like a cartoon!! my voice seems very hollow. hopefully its a temporary thing but its very worrying to me. i want my voice back. any advice on the voice?

Hey, thanks for responding! Glad to know I'm not the only one... Ahhh sorry to hear about the bleeding. I hated that. My voice, however, is slowly getting better. It still doesn't sound completely like my voice, but it sounds like a normal persons voice-- not cartoon-like anymore. And I had a follow up appointment with my doctor and he said that I am still healing and a little bit swollen and that, as I continue to heal, my voice will go back to its old self. He also said that, because of this big changes in my throat having no more tonsils etc, it is just going to take some time to get used to speaking the way I used to. But he pretty much assured me that my old voice will come back. So, I'm sure the same goes for you! Hope your feeling better.
Sarah