Hello Everybody,

My husband. 66 years old, Caucasian, Parkinson's disease for the past 6 years and doing fine with medication, has his gangrenous gallbladder removed on March 7 after excruciating abdominal pains that lead us to the Emergency Room. All his blood tests were normal, except his white cells which were 14. The CT scan showed a sick gallbladder which was 3 times bigger than normal. He could have died hadn’t we went to the Emergency Room. Say, we could have been flying to Hawaii, as we had planned for this spring, and the attack could very well happened on the plane.

My point is that he has never had any of the classical symptoms of a malfunctioning gallbladder so he had no clue that he has a gallbladder disease. He suffered of chronic constipation all his life, which I have learned recently that it is a symptom of a non-functioning gallbladder!! Although none of his doctors ever thought of advising him to had his gallbladder checked. He suffers of GERD, which I just read about as being a symptom of a slow gallbladder, as well as bloating. How is it possible for his doctors to NOT connect the dots and recommend gallbladder check up?

My question to you all is how is it possible for an organ to become so rotten and not know it? What causes a gangrenous gallbladder? Is it possible that another disorder may have caused his gallbladder to die? What system conditions can cause gangrenous gallbladder? Please be advised that my husband is NOT a diabetic.

I am trying to understand why this has happened to him and to prevent other organ to decay as his gallbladder did. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.