I am writing because I have gallbladder surgery in a month and am freaking out about the after effects of it. I am a college student and am wondering will I still be able to drink alcohol after?? I have been reading and researching and many people have said they can't drink any type of alcohol afterwards.... Also I am wondering about what the recovery time for this type of surgery normally is. I am getting it done a few days before Thanksgiving Break and would like to go out with all my friends over break. Please any info would be very helpful. Thank you.

Hi there student! :-) The gall bladder is an important part of the body which stores bile that is produced by the liver. Bile is useful for breaking down fatty food for the digestive system. Normally gall bladder removal does not come in the way of a normal balanced diet. Normally you can start drinking alcohol once you have fully recovered, that takes usually 10-12 days. But you shouldn't drink more than 3-4 units of alcohol in a day otherwise you can get complications. So I guess you shouldn't freak out about the after effects of the surgery. There may be many changes especially in diet. Check with your doctor, he may recommend special diet and as well may require more test to make sure you are doing all right. I hope you'll find these informations useful.

Unlike its effect on liver – and that’s the organ you should really be focusing on keeping as healthy as possible after gallbladder removal surgery - alcohol has no role in the development of gallstones or it has no effect on the normal functions of gallbladder. After the gallbladder removal, bile directly goes in to the intestine from liver and this condition can cause diarrhea. So, if you think you can tolerate the possibility of having diarrhea and feeling nauseous – and that is after a certain amount of time has passed and your body has recovered from a major surgery. Thanksgivings’ is way too soon to drink alcohols after any, let alone organ removal surgery.