It has been about two weeks since my mother-in-law as had her gallbladder removed. Now she is experiencing swelling and pain in the upper part of her leg. Her brother also got the same symptoms after having his gallbladder removed. Is this a common symptom that others have experienced after having the same surgery?     

Go see your doctor as it could be an infection of some sort, as it is not a common symptom of gallbadder removal.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

I am going to give you my entire experience as best I can in order to possibly help another out there. Let me start with some basic background information. I am a 37 year old caucassian female. I have had 2 births, one when I was 20 and one when I was 29. Both vaginal. For most of my life I have been slightly overweight weighing around 155-170, I am 5 feet 4 inches. As of right now I am considerably overweight after the birth of my 2nd child, bouts of depression and overall not eating well. I have been a yo-yo dieter my whole life. I currently weigh 208 pounds with a recent weight loss of 20 pounds since 2/26. I started Medifast, a low carb, low calorie, low fat diet. It is not the first time on Medifast. I did it in 2009 briefly for 7 weeks and lost 20. Again in 2010 and lost 10 more. I am not that active. I work a desk job as a technical engineer spending alot of time sitting. I have no known allergies other than mold and tree pollen (spring type of studf and also during fall time for some reason). I do however believe I have some food intolerances but have not explored via the medical community mostly because I am not a huge fan of going to the doctor unless absolute emergency (not a good way to be but it is what is, am who i am). I have had no major medical issues other than a staph infection when I was 4 from a bee sting ib-beween my buttocks that I spent 3 days in the hospital. I also have had ovarian cysts, one burst when I was 15 in which I went to hospital and was treated with medicine. I am a light drinker and smoker. I do not use street drugs but like most teenagers I experimented with acid, coke, meth, weed betwen ages 16-18. I have never had an STD. I have had bronchitits 2 times, pneumonia once as a child, the flu once, superficial blood clots in my left arm caused from the inproper gauging of the countless attempts to get an IV into my arm when I lost a baby inutero at 24 weeks and had to have emergency dnc. I was treated for that blood clot via aspirin and weekly visits with cardiologist and it dissolved itself within 30 days. I have had bouts of anxiety and depression throughout my entire life as long as I can remember. Okay lets focus on when my "digestive" issues began. I started to get severe stomach issues at age 22. At this time I was the thinnest I had ever been. I dieted myself from 175 down to 135 in about 6 months time. I was working out daily and eating low fat/low calories. My daughter was two. I worked as a live in care giver while attending college full time. I was a single mother, no financial help and no nearby family. I was focused and devoted, a good mother!! I was also stressed, financially strapped, and tired. This is when I started to experience severe gas that would leave me curled up on the bathroom floor. I had severe abdominal cramping, nausea, mild fevers, fatigue. It would come on out of the blue and this was during a time I ate healthy, low fat, lots of fruits and veggies lean proteins. I ended up going to the dr where he diagnosed me with gasritis. He said bouts of gasritis can last weeks to months. From there on out I started adding in new symptoms such as "dumping" immediately after eating, breaking out in skin rashes, asthma here and there, heartburn, explosive diahhrea, loose watery stools, hemroids (sp), adult acne (always had flawless skin), bloating, indigestion, heavy periods, gray hair, weight gain, extreme smelling gas, burping. Please note that I did not have all of these at once but variations, combinations of this and that. I always had countless trips to the emergency room where I was always treated for heartburn, gasritis, etc. I would have them check my heart because there were 5 or 6 times in the last 15 years I believed I was having a heart attack but they told me my heart was fine and said I had heartburn. Over the last 15 years I have tried all sorts of prescriptions and over the counter meds..some helped some did not. I can also tell you I have not had a "normal" bowel movement in 15 years since the symptoms began. They have been like I mentioned and countless stools throughout the day..almost everytime I go #1. So lets jump to last Friday!! I just got off work - I am a Technical Engineer for large software company. My daugter is now 17 and my son is 8. We have a beautiful life, I have really worked my butt off to get here. Anyway, last Friday I was eating some greek food. Just a few bites of pita, hummus, olives, falafel balls, tomato, cucumbers (have had it countless times from one of my favorite little jewish delis). About 15 minutes later I felt a spasm/pain/twinge in both my upper and lower back. It was progressively getting worse so I took a benadryl and decided to lie down on my bed and try to ignore it. I awoke at 8:30, the pain had wrapped around me (like a tight hug), the acid had consumed my entire upper body going into neck, brain, arms, finger tips! A non stop painful hot squeeze, unrelenting and oh so painful. Now this was not my first time with such - the first time I felt this exact same thing was 5-6 months ago and I waited 3 hours before calling paramedics. I thought for sure heart attack but once again they came to my house and told me No! They said heartburn more than likely but could not diagnose me. They offered several times to take me via ambulance to hospital but since I was not dying and did not feel like paying a few thousand out of pocket also I have been through this little digestive routine for 15 years!!!! Oh it happened Yet again about 2 weeks from first time. So lets go back to last Friday. I rode it out for as long as I could but it was getting to the point I thought I was going to die from pain. I was vomitting bile and shaking and by the point screaming! My family took me to emergency room. They got me in right away and started me on pain meds but had to keep administering them to me every 15-20 minutes via IV cause the pain was just too much. They checked my heart and sid it was "fine!" they made me drink that amazing cocktail of pure nastiness to see if it was heartburn, "nope!" then they did something amazing, this wonderful doctor had an ultrasound done. Oh my God, they found a huge stone blocking in my gallbladder! I was in a full blown gallbladder attack!!! The next words, "your gallbladder is infected and inflammed and we will operate tomorrow!" oh my god finally, could this be it?! After 15 years could that pear of an organ been diseased this whole time causing me poor digestive health!???? Rad!! I finally got a smart surgeon that wants to take action! Had surgery following day, was in constant IV of fluids n antibiotics prior. The surgery was a piece of cake. After surgery I ate, went pee and went home. Was prescribed oxycodone (yucky but necessary) and ibup. Day 1 of recovery was 2 days ago Sunday 5/20/2012! Pain from the incisions, expected. Completely exhausted, expected! Zombie like from surgery itself, the gallbladder attack itself, lack of sleep, lack of food, pain meds, anthesia - Expexcted! Burping and slight flank gas and shoulder pain - Expected (gone now day 3)Took shower Sunday mid-day, removed bandages. All sealed up and sore but looks good. Ate cake, chicken, hamburger on a bun, fruit - No issues! Day 2 also had my first bowel movement since Friday - completely normal, first time in 15 damn years, a real certifiable log!!!! i am on day 3, have had 1 bath (first night actually afyer my shower I wanted to soak one out and did, used waterproof bandages just during then temoved). AnywY today I have had 2 Normal bowel movements, mild nausea from the oxycodone (normal), slight headache (oxycodone again), fatigue a bit yes, soreness on incisions (of course), ate whatever i wanted, no gas, no burping, no heartburn, nada!!! So to wrap this up i am 3 days exactly post-op and i am tired, a bit sore at incisions (no bandages per dr took off day 1 during first shower), have eaten whatever i wanted mostly healthy minus cake and hamburger on bun (yum), I am doing well! Have week off and intend to walk and rest, lots of water and start on motrin instead of oxycodone since they wipe u out even more so. I hope this is the last digestive crud!! I wonder if it has been my icky GB this whole darn time, i hope that is the case! I thonk sonfar this surgery was the best!! Sorry so long, hope this has helped somebody took me an hour lol!