1. The mother of a 6-month-old infant calls the office requesting an appointment for her child. She advises that she thinks the child’s head appears swollen and that there are areas that appear to be bulging. What is your response regarding the appointment.

I would pretty much bypass the office appt. which could take forever and immediatly take this baby to the ER. If i were the parent of that baby i wouldn't even call the office to begin with. I certainly would be scared stiff and would waste no time getting to the hospital.

If i were the receptionist taking the call i would tell her the same thing. Don't bring the baby here as this sounds like a time is of the essence situation. Some parents are so new to the baby game or are very young themselves and they really aren't sure what to do.

I agree with bbfeet. Go right to the ER.

Whatever may be going on, if it is causing visible swelling it certainly has the possibility of compromising the infants airway very shortly.

xquizet, please let us know the outcome if you can.