I'm an 18 yr old female - I don't drink, smoke, do drugs,etc. About six weeks ago I went to the ER with severe stomach pain. The pain was going through my back and up into my shoulders. They took blood, did a CT with contrast, and an ultrasound. My blood work came back and showed that my amylase and lipase levels were high (3700 and 8005 respectively) and the CT showed that my pancreas were swollen. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis and hospitalized for two days. I had another ultrasound during this time. Neither of the ultrasounds showed gall stones, or proof that one had passed. I was sent home and told to stick to a low fat diet and if any pain persisted to go to a GI.

The first two days out of the hospital I was fine; no pain whatsoever. But the third day it started all over again. My pain wasn't as bad as it was when I had gone to the ER, but it was the same type of pain. Eating didn't affect it... the pain randomly appeared and got worse throughout the day. I started having chest pain (on the left side), which I hadn't had previously. I called a GI and made an appointment. In the mean time the pain continued to get worse, and I ended up back at the ER. They did another ultrasouns, which showed no gall stones. So they gave me morphine for the pain and sent me home. They also recommended I take zantac before I eat, but it only seemed to make things worse so I stopped.

I went to the GI and he ordered more blood work to check my triglycerides and to check for celiac's disease, which runs in my family. He also ordered a hida scan. My blood work came back completely normal, and my ejection fraction was 92. Since none of these things seemed to be the problem, I have an appointment for next week with my GI and he wants to discuss more options.

What I'm wonder is if anyone has an idea of what is causing my pain, and what the doctor may want to do next. I'm kind of freaked out, to be honest, haha. I'm still having bad pain in my stomach, shoulders, back, and chest. Any ideas or insight would be great :-)

Oh - I also forgot to add that I usually feel very nauseous throughout most days.

I am so sorry you are going through this. My daughter is going through almost the same thing. She does not have the shoulder ,back and chest pains. She has had every test done as well as CT scans and they have no idea what is causing this. All of her tests have come back normal too. She is on pain meds and has to be careful what she eats. her lipase levels are not as high as your but they are stiil pretty high. She can eat ice cubes and some fluids but no food at all until levels come down. She starves while the levels are high and then when they are back to normal she can eat but has to be fruit and veg, no fatty foods at all or junk food. If she eats any food while the levels are high she is in excrutiating pian. So maybe try not eating until levels are back to normal. Will give you some degree of comfort other than starving, which is exactly what she has to do:-( Unfortunatly her pain is back again.I am on the net looking for some kind of answer or maybe someone has had this and has found out what was causing this. Please post if you ever find out. If I find anything I will do the same.Take care.

I am currently going threw the same thing did u find out what was wrong as I wuld like to find out for my self its shocking the pain it puts us threw I hope ur all better now I wuldnt wish the pain I've been in upon anyone best of luck