You do not want to know how many "how to" pieces about eyelash growth I have read over the last couple of days!

I'm on this fitness forum and someone mentioned eyelash growth serums there in an off-topic kind of way, and I decided to go looking around. I was ecstatic to hear that something might be out there to make my eyelashes longer, because they are quite short, but I just got confused by all the products and oils out there. 

That's why I've come here. If you have used an eyelash growth serum that has worked for you, can you please share your experiences? And if you tried one that was not worth the money, please tell me that too.

With so many products out there that promise you longer eyelashes, you really have to spend a little more to get proper results. NeuLash Lash Enhancing Serum costs $150, which seems like a lot, but then again it is undoubtedly cheaper than getting eyebrow extensions on a frequent basis. Full of nutrients, this serum will protect your eyelashes from more damage and will enhance them. It comes with a handy brush for easy applications and is worth paying that money for.

I've been using Promaxyl Rapidlash Eyelash Renewal Serum for about three months now and I am ecstatic to say that IT REALLY DOES WORK!!! I took pictures the day I started using it and every week after that, and you can really, really, really see the difference. I seem to have more eyelashes and they are longer as well as thicker. The only thing I will say is that it was slightly tricky to apply but practice makes perfect. I have added this to my not so short shortlist of products that I just must have! Though its pricey there are many things out there that cost way more, so there you go.

I got a prescription for Latisse after using falsies for ages. A friend has used Latisse with amazing results, and I wanted some of that too. The thought of not having to apply falsies ever again suddenly looked ever so appealing to me, and if she could have some of that good stuff, why not me? Having seen the results, I obviously do know that Latisse can work very well for some people. I was not among the lucky ones. Latisse did nothing for me. My eyelashes literally did not change a single bit.

What I have learned from this is that it is not so much whether an eyelash growth serum (and Latisse is the best, or so they say) works, but whether it works for you. You will only find that out if you try.

CASTOR OIL!!!! I looked into various serums as well, but kept coming back to simple castor oil. Everyone kept saying that it works, and I finally decided to leap and use it, as it is by far the most inexpensive option around. Those first few weeks of using it, I was pretty skeptical, not seeing anything much in the way of new hair growth or more thickness. After around three weeks I finally started seeing a real improvement. If you are not sure what to get, I say consider the castor oil because you have nothing to lose, whereas some serums cost hundreds of dollars.

I started using castor oil last night and have closely been looking at my eyebrows since then! After I applied it, I swear I saw little bumps around the hair follicles where hairs used to be, like they were a little irritated or stimulated or something. I googled to see if anyone literally got instant results from castor oil but I saw nothing in that department. Nonetheless, I think I am seeing that this is doing something. I do think I must have gotten a little bit in my left eye because it suddenly felt irritated. I flung some lens fluid in there and washed my eye out, and it got better. I'll let you know if this really works, but judging by all the before and after vids you see on YouTube, it really does work. It is not like those vloggers are doing it because they are advertising castor oil either, because that stuff is pretty generic and I don't see there is a lot of money to be made from it. I am hopeful so far. Of course I will post updates when (yes, it will happen!!!) I get my hair back.

Community Administrator

Castor oil is full of different ingredients: Vitamin E (which is known to be good for the skin), antibacterial stuff, proteins, minerals... It is known to be useful as a laxative as well as a means to induce labor, but can it really work for hair growth? It might well do. Castor oil improves the circulation, which is presumably why it works as a laxative and to induce labor. It might also be exactly what causes it to induce hair growth: increased circulation stimulates the follicles, helping them grow more hair. If I had overplucked eyebrows or less than satisfying lashes, I wouldn't think twice about giving this treatment a go. 

Well, I thought I would grace you all with an update, LOL. I applied castor oil to my eyebrows the first two nights, then when I went to bed on the third night, I figured I had skipped it. It was gone 2 am and I really didn't feel like getting out of bed again to apply the oil. I applied it again the fourth night. Of course, I keep looking in the mirror to see whether there's any new growth. I swear I see new hairs coming. There's like four to five beginning hairs on both sides, which is HUGE considering that all hair growth had come to a complete halt and I'm only practically speaking on day three since I skipped a day. Most people seem to say it takes between two weeks and three months to see a real difference. Like I said before (I think?) I did get some in my eye once and that stung like crazy. It's important not to touch your brows after applying the castor oil, because you might rub your eyes afterwards. No pigmentation whatsoever though, and I am more and more hopeful that castor oil is indeed the ticket to better brows.

I've frankly been going around being terrified of that castor oil, pretty much mainly 'cause I read scary stuff like it can make you get darker eyes, get that, nasty dark patches on the skin which I really, really don't want, and irritated skin reactions. You saying I should give this lark another thought? 'Cause yeah, I'm actually pretty adverse to the idea of having dark skin patches that I'm gonna have to use a laser to get off or something, but at the same time, I do have like literally half my brows missing and I don't like that much better or anything. Cheers for keeping the updates going though... if you don't report anything nasty, you might have a convert there.

Well, here I am again. I put the castor oil on again last night and think I have it down to a routine. No, there are absolutely no signs of dark pigmentation or anything like that. As long as I make sure I don't get it in my eyes by rubbing, I am fine. I have a hand mirror right here as it happens, and though it's a little too dark to see, I think I've got about 12 new budding hairs on the left side and, hmmm, perhaps 15 on the right side? Some of them are longer than others and some are really just coming out, so close to the skin that I can barely see them. But hair growth is happening!!! For someone who was almost eyebrowless for so long, that is one hell of an achievement! It's me Pirate of course, but you don't see that when I hit quick reply. I guess I will have to sign up here because I keep coming back.

So have you been using it on your lashes too?