Hi, my baby already has HSV-1 and I don’t know how harmful it can be for babies? Is there anyone else with the same problem?

Hi, herpes simplex in neonatals can be very dangerous, and has high rate of morbidity and mortality. If the mother has acquired herpes simplex virus (HSV) in the end of pregnancy risk is even greater. It is very rare condition, so neonatal herpes is rare. It is not cost effective to perform serology tests in all pregnant women. Only some at high risk are tested. It is advisable to consult immunologist and prevent development of disease, if possible by using serums. But, since the baby is so young it is very complicated and requires following of therapy.

Hi, I recently lost my first child to neonatal herpes simplex virus. I'm not trying to scare you, and i pray that your child will or has survived this horrible virus. I am 21 years old and my child gave me the most amazing eleven days of my life. 4 of which i was able to bring him home. He will always stay in my heart and in my mind. I love him dearly. Althouh he is gone now, he has made more of an impact on the lives of my family and I. therefore he will never be forgotten.

Good luck

My child is currently at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester dealing with HSV 1. It is very painful to watch him suffer like he is. He is 13 days old and we only got to bring him home for a few days as well.

This is probably the worst I have ever felt in my life. I am scared and dont know what to do. I think I am selfish because I want him to be normal if he survives. It is very hard to look at him with out breaking down.

I never once thought something like this would happen to me. My wife is absolutely distrought b/c she currently is healing from the cold sore that she beleives gave him this virus. And it doesnt help that she did some research and survival rate of this disease is 15%.

I wished there was more I could do.

This really breaks my heart. It is a virus that you would not think is any sort of threat to infants, but turns out is dangerous. You definitely are not selfish for wanting your child to be normal if he survives! Like most viruses, it is really hard to tell when you are breaking out so I hope that your wife understands that it is in no way her fault that your baby got sick. There's no sure way to know if you're actually going to break out, so she should not beat herself up. Please let us know how things go!

for you and other people who read this you're not alone and hope is there. i've had it since i was an infant and as far as i know im a normal person who gets break outs. as a kid it was hard to deal with. they gave me creams which spread it and going to school with a break out was hard. a teacher was transferred because she told the class i had herpes. now that im an adult I've learned how to deal with it and know when im going to get a breakout before it appears. i know what triggers it and i know how to take proper care of it. i hope your baby is healthy and happy. knowing all the facts helped me live with it instead of hiding until it was gone.

My daughter had neonatal herpes.  We are not sure how she got it, she was born via c-section but was sick within a couple of days.  She died when she was 9 days old.  Its been 5 years...at the time, I looked for people who were going through the same thing to no avail.  It was so scary.  I kept being told that only .1% of babies contract HSV...we were part of that unlucky statistic.  

I have a question...I'm pregnant and I get cold sores regularly.  Is my baby at risk?  How do they get the virus before birth?  or do they get it during delivery or after birth?

Any update on how the baby is?

My daughter is 10 months she has neonatal herpes. She received treatment and she is doing great other then that fact she has too many recoccuring outbreaks and has to be suppressive antiviral medication until she is able to handle the virus better. Anyone else with a familiar experience. I would love to talk to someone in our situation. She gets her outbreaks on her scalp area.

Please, please reach out to me if you would like to talk. My baby is now 9 weeks old. She has HSV and to cut a long story short, she has been treated via antiviral. She will be on this for the next 3-6 month. It would be such a comfort to me to have someone who can relate through their own experiences. Hope to talk soon, Catherine