I think I have heard thousands of times someone has herpes. I always pretend, as I understand how that is some problem person has on the lip. However, I have to admit I do not have any idea what causes it. I would like to hear something about herpes so I would appreciate any info you could tell me. Especially, I would like to understand what causes herpes.

Herpes simplex is a common virus that causes sores on or near the mouth. Those are often called cold sores or oral herpes. The similar virus causes the genital sores known as genital herpes. There are two herpes simplex viruses; first-one is herpes simplex type and second is herpes simplex type 2. These viruses are very similar, and either type can infect the mouth or genitals affecting human with herpes. Herpes is spread by direct skin-to-skin contact, but unlike a flu virus that you can get through the air, herpes spreads by direct contact. This means directly from the site of infection to the site of contact. Example is if person has a cold sore and kiss someone, he or she can transfer the virus from his or her mouth to others. Similarly, if person has active genital herpes and have vaginal or anal intercourse, he or she can transfer the virus from genitals to someone others genitals. Finally, if someone have a cold sore and put mouth on partner's genitals doing oral sex, partner might get genital herpes.

Is it the truth that someone who periodicaly gets oral herpes will never get vaginal herpes? When is the best time to get tested for herpes? Only during an outbreak or at any time?