What cause cold sores? I have them often on my lips. They look very ugly. How did I get my cold sores? Can I prevent cold sores?

My son also has often cold sore. Doctor said than his immune system is weak. This I know about that. Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus. There are two types, called type 1 and type Either type can be caught on any part of the body: lips and genitals are the most common places.
Once you have caught this virus, it hides in nearby nerve sheaths and can sometimes reactivate. You catch it the first time by being kissed by someone who has cold sore virus on his or her face. It is only caught by direct skin contact, not through sharing cups, cutlery, and towels. Avoid any triggers you have identified. Get enough sleep. Improve your diet. If sunlight is one of your triggers, use a good quality sun block.

I have been getting cold, on and off, all my life. Last friday to sunday, I went skiining and had nothing to cover my cheeks and lips. Now, i have like four cold sores on my lip and one above my lip. So I know the cold sores came from overexposure to the wind/sun. The cold sores came up on Tuesday, that day they were fine. Nothing too bad. Now, this morning, on Wednesday, I wake up and find that they did dry up a bit, but the top part of my lip had swelled up! Is this normal? I have never had that happen before. Can someone help me?

I have a cold sore now, and the nurses here at school gave me Acyclovir to take. However, I don't understand how I got this cold sore; I have not been in any sexual activity within the past 6 months neither have I kissed anyone in that time. I just want to know how I got it?

You probably had it for a while. These things can just flare up at anytime if you caught the virus.