So I posted about this last week, and I'm now better, mostly, but I thought I'd start a topic so we can discuss it because I'm positive that I'm not the only person who has run into this problem. 

I had a ginormous cold sore on my bottom lip, and it developed before I had the chance to pull out ant antivirals. Since I didn't have vaseline around to keep it hydrated either, I used what I did have - a labello stick. It wasn't as hydrating as I wanted but it was better than nothing. 

I just wore lipstick again for the first time yesterday. The cold sore is gone, I think, I mean the blisters are gone but the skin still looks and feels scarry, if you like. I'm sure it is OK to wear lipstick now. 

I think if you wear lipstick while having a cold sore, it might hide the problem a bit, but also that you can reinfect yourself if you apply the lipstick again later. This could be solved by having a designated "cold sore lipstick"? Is there any other reason not to wear lips stick with an active cold sore?

Wondering what you'll say!

I don't know. If you have open skin and you put lipstick on it, then you don't know what it will do. Just because it is meant for normal skin does not mean it is suitable for open skin! Would you put lipstick on your knee after scraping? Me neither, and not just because lipstick doesn't go on knees. What's more, I think that if anything you would just attract more attention to the cold sore by embellishing it with lipstick, don't you? No, I'd sit that one out with a tub of vaseline. It can't last that long.

I looked it up just for you and there's a doctor somewhere on the web who says it's fine to apply lipstick over cold sores as long as they're not in the active blister phase. Cold sores really do suck but no matter what anyone says, I'm also in the "don't do it" camp... it's just disgusting to me. You're gonna look horrible either way, know what I mean? Might as well save yourself the trouble of putting lipstick on while you're at it and instead eat healthy foods, use probiotics, etc, which should hopefully speed up healing time... That's how I feel about it anyways. 

Right, you guys are probably right. Cold sores are awful those! Hate them! It's a real blow to your look, you know, when you have all that nasty yellow and bloody stuff going on!

Mine took over a week to really clear up! I can say that it's really, really gone just now. I don't remember cold sores lasting that long before, so perhaps my immune system has taken a blow? I'll admit that between work and other stuff, I've not had much time to cook from scratch this winter. Perhaps all that junk food has taken its toll?

Anyway, back to business as usual for me now but I hope you'll continue replying, whoever knows something more about hiding cold sores with lipstick because numerous women must find themselves in this situation!

You CAN wear lipstick while you have a cold sore, but not on the active herpes part. If you take a bit of lipstick off and apply it with a disposable eyeshadow brush or something around the cold sore, you should be fine. Obviously choose a color like light pink that doesn't make the herpes stand out!

No matter what, you're going to look bad with a cold sore. But when I have one (rarely) I don't want to have to look completely not made up, because I wear makeup every day and it just feels weird not to have any lippy on.

This is a bit of a weird topic, in my opinion. Cold sores represent an active infection and you don't really want to combine that with makeup, you know? Maybe it's technically safe, but I really can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. Like others have said: It's going to look ugly whatever you do. 

If you are organized enough to get a "designated cold sore lipstick", surely you could also keep Zovirax on hand at all types and stop the cold sores before they get to the full blown horrid stage rather than trying to work out how to be as pretty as possible with a lip full of nastiness?