Hello and I am so scared.   About a year ago Im pretty sure I got HVS.   Not sure if it is one or two as I have not been tested.  My girlfriend and I both know but have not went to doctor as our signs are so minimal.    Now my son 15 has blisters under his arms and a paper like cut on his face.    Is this proof that he now has what I have?  I cant sleep at night and Im losing my mind.   If I did this to my child I will never forgive myself.   If it is HVS1 can he have it on his face and not in the genitals, so maybe he can live a somewhat normal high school life?   Any advise would be appreciated.

Dear So Scared

If you think you have HSV, you must get it tested and treated. If you have any signs (you don't say what they are!!), you must both go and be treated. It is highly contagious, so get your son tested too!!

HSV-1 (Herpes Simplex Virus type 1) is the usual cause of Cold Sores. Usually it is passed on in early childhood (say) when a child is kissed by a family member or friend who has a cold sore. The virus passes through the skin and travels up the nerves where it lies dormant until it is triggered at a later date.

HSV-2 (Herpes Simplex Virus type 2) is the usual cause of Genital Herpes, and also can cause Cold Sores (say) after having oral sex with a someone who has the condition. Genital herpes causes painful blisters on the genitals and the surrounding areas, is a long-term condition, and the virus remains in your body. It can become active again (on average 4-5 times in the 1st 2 years after being infected, and, over time, it does so less frequently and each outbreak becomes less severe.

In case you need reminding - get tested urgently.

Hope this helps.