I've cut them off for years. The pain is cause by the swelling. Once the offending taste bud is gone, so is the pain. Some of us don't have the luxury of health insurance, or are smart and capable enough to deal with our own small problems.

sometimes you can get them from burning your tongue because when i get them it is because of that or to much salt so either tough it out or rinse with salt water every night before bed

I got mine from poking my tongue aroung my new spacers. Now it kills any time I touch my teeth with the tip of my tongue. I've had them from getting too much sour/sweet/spicy foods, and pinching it off was a big mistake.

:-P there is nothing you can do about it they will come and go ever so often like mayb every three months if ur lucky...you can react the pain by eating really hot foods or really cold foods even stress the best thing to do is bye orajel or anything like that to numb it..its kiinda like outta site outta mind. for anybody who may have got it for the first time it may happen again if it doesnt consider yourself lucky...i dont know what it is from or what its called but you might as well call it the "toungue thing"but numbing it with something is the best option it makes you not rub your teeth on it to try in kill the pain with pain and it wll heel faster...

Guest wrote:

me too! :x im only 14 and i have this problem too. It use to be spread out at the tip of my tounge.they went away-
and then1 to 1 and 1/2 weeks later it came back(actually today !) but now its in one place. I actually took some tweezers and tried to pluck them off but its bittersweet because it hurts but its SOOOO annoying !!! i accidentally tore off a little bit of feeling for like 30 min. but then wore off but I guess you could say it was kind of worth it ?!?!?!?!?
i did use hot salt water but it went away in like two days ?!?!?!?!??![/img]

use orajel or any numbing like toothache numbing substance u will likely get it again dont feel bad ur not the only one

totally been suffering from this for about 3 days... i finally cut the biggest ones off with nail clippers and its feeling about 90% better, it may not be the best medical decision but yeah i can say that it does reduce the pain.

I too cut them off with nail clippers. It does hurt for a minute and bleed for maybe 3 minutes but in the end ... NO MORE PAIN. Bump is gone and you can eat, drink and be merry again.

i have little white bumps on my tongue and i have my wife pull them off she thinks its gross but she's tired of hearing me complainbut i really seem to think that is helping except for when she used tweasers that hurt like a

Has anyone ever had them turn a black-ish color? This is the first time I've had this happen and it turn black...

nail clippers? geez talk about a lazy ass for waiting for swelling to go down... u just lost some taste on your tongue for doing that just lay off on the salty food you salt freak and it'll eventually go down geez people I tell you or some ice on it makes it feel like its not even there

Interesting reading everyone's responses. I just had one of those little white irritating bumps. I usually just stick a steralized pin in it. Hurts like heck, but it goes away by the next day and usually feels better within in a couple hours. I also found a website that gave a similar info that people have been saying here. But it did give the following as possible treatment:

Step 1
Heat a half cup of water in a mug. Then dissolve about a teaspoon of salt in the water and gargle. Make sure to cover the enlarged taste buds with the mixture several times before spitting.

Step 2
Place a butter knife in the freezer and wait for an hour or so. You want to use this as a flat ice pack on the enlarged taste buds.

Step 3
Place the freezing knife on the enlarged taste buds until the knife temperature is the same as your tongue. This helps lower the swelling and numb the pain for a while. Make sure to keep any sharp edges away from your tongue and mouth.

Step 4
Visit your local pharmacy and purchase some mouth numbing gel if nothing else works. Enlarged taste buds go away quickly and this gel will help you deal with the discomfort. Baby teething gel works well.

I tend to get these from time to time. The only thing that I have found to relieve the pain and resist the urge to cut it off is to put clove oil directly onto the area. It tastes horrible but it numbs the tongue so much better than anything else I have tried an it seems like I have tried EVERYTHING out there. Additionally clove oil will also instantly numbs a tooth ache. My husband had a severe toothache once when his schedule wouldn't allow him to go to the dentist. I bought some at a local health food store and brought it to him. He put it on his tooth and he had instant relief.

OH! I am in pain every day!! As soon as a few go more come right behind it.....I am in pain EVERYDAY!!! Have been for about alittle over a month. I have found that: sugar, spice, salt, citrus all make them pop right up immediately and I suffer!...relentless...but what is left to eat? I also suffer from acid reflux so I am guessing that it may contribute as well. Never talked to anyone about it....just decided today to look and see if people were on the internet having the same issues. Am I the only one who has like only a ONE day break between them? Mine come on the tip and on boths sides...all at once.....stay forever it feels like....one day thinking "maybe this is the end" NOPE!!! Right back a day later! Talk aboutsevere let down every week. HOW DO WOMEN GIVE BIRTH!????? I always think the smallest things hurt worse though (but then I have yet to have a baby). I have not tried any remedies yet because I was afraid somehow I would make it worse.....So, it is ok to put orajel on it? I am skeptical about the warm salt water because since salt does it to me as well wouldn't that exacerbate the problem? (make it worse?) Someone explain the logic behind salt water on taste buds that popped up from salt/sugar/citrus/spice/heat..... Hot salt water? I am opent o any and all suggestions....all suggestions would be appreciated and definitely considered!!! EXCEPT the pulling them or cutting them off thing.....Over time can't you lose those tastebuds? I always thought they only replace so many times...If I am wrong I would love to know because I am curious.....(but I still wont cut them off) just visualizing it.....on the other hand.....they do feel like having a million paper cuts on one hand.....like the time I got a paper cut...then the next day a piece of paper went into the EXACT same place as the first.....I now have a scar on my finger....seriously!! not cool...

These things hurt like hell. I get them when occasionally grind my teeth in my sleep and happen to catch the sides of my tongue in my teeth. Kill me. THESE SUCK!

so i was eating hot cheetos. now i have a little bump on my tongue. i know it's a taste bud. it hurts like a mo-fo. but it's soo tiny! i didn't bite it so i don't know if it's really swollen or not or if it's just the hot cheetos. but other than that, i'd say hot stuff is the cause. or salty stuff as well.