Thank God! I'm not dying.....and the culprit of this little sucker is, of course, CINNAMON altoids which I have been throwing back at a frequent rate. That explains why I still have this after 8 days! I'm giving up the altoids and we'll see if it goes away. I just can't bring myself to rip off my own flesh. Ekk.

People, take note. Just because someone else says it doesn't hurt/bleed "at all" or that it
"only hurt for 2 seconds" doesn't mean it will do the same for you. I literally just cut one off and it hurt like all hell, so much so that I had to put a local anesthetic to stop it. And it was well over "2 seconds" too, more like 30 before I finally put the anesthetic on. So yes IT WILL HURT and everyone who says it doesn't is either full of c**p or has a very high pain tolerance. The bleeding however won't last very long because saliva is a natural coagulant which is why your supposed to suck on wounds.

Either way, yes pulling them off will stop the excessive pain from the damn thing but it WILL still hurt for awhile afterward, just not as long. But before doing anything you should be aware that having an open sore in your mouth, which is filled with bacteria, is not a very good idea so if you can stand waiting a bit longer, it IS best to leave it alone. And again, for the love of god, never put hydrogen peroxide in your mouth!

And if your having these because of cinnamon, it means your freaking allergic to cinnamon! And if you say "no I am not" to that then its not caused by the damn cinnamon and you should stop jumping to conclusions simply because "omg look its cinnamon, that must be it!!"

Nail Clippers, $2.99. Oral Pathologist, & biopsy? $697.89 I just pull the darn things off too. Feels better right away.

I found I tend to get them from sucking on hard candy (lollipops, jolly ranchers, etc), or overly sugary things. Just recently I came down hard with a cold, and have been 'popping' cough drops. Helpful and delicious as they may be, lo and behold; inflamed taste bud on the tip of my tongue. I used to bite them off (thought I was the only one to do that until I read these), but this one is too big for me to comfortably do so. Ive been rinsing my mouth with warm salt water, using sea salt I have left over from a new piercing care kit. Ive found over the years that sea salt is stronger and more effective then regular salt. Stop by your nearest tattoo/piercing shop to pick up a small bag (usually a quarter, but they might give you a free one if you're nice).

I highly suggest an all or nothing approach. Either you bite/cut it ALL off (er... the taste bud in question, NOT your tongue), or you use salt water and LEAVE IT ALONE. Too often have I bit off only a part, and the inflammation comes back full force or worse.

Disclaimer- I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just going off of personal experience.

YOu guys are insane riping and pulling them off will hurt they are burt/bit taste buds or they could have been from salty foods dont listen to these einsteins(dough dough)o.O

i know... i have about 6 of them on my tounge! Why are they even there??? I heard they are caused by spicy foods... And it does make some sense, getting them this morning, i ate hot wings for dinner. But is there other reasons???

I have some of those, too. Reading these posts, I definitely wouldn't try to pop them...
However, I don't understand why this happened; I do not drink/eat too hot or too cold - never use ice in water or sodas - never too salty etc... Beats me. But it's been there for 3 days now, it's painful, but I can feel the pain residing... Don't play doctor on yourself :-)

I get these things from time to time too. I'm 26 now, and have been getting them since i was a child. I have one now, actually, and that is why i googled it and found this forum. What I do is to take a pair of scissors and cut the little buggers right of. It can be painful to cut, but only for a second, and it is definitely worth it. Once it is cut off, the tongue feels much better.
It might sound extreme to use a pair of scissors on the tongue, but it actually works fine for me. And I don't have a high pain threshold at all. There is pain just at the moment you cut, and then a drop or two of blood, and then it is sooo much better.

What is amazing is that my mother is the only one who actually knows what I'm talking about. She had them growing up too. Whenever i try to explain it to someone else, they have never heard of it or experienced it.

i have a whole patch of these little pain nodules on the front of my tongue. Guess what I sucked on all weekend while I traveled around the back roads...........................cinnamon altoids and then I went to a restaurant and ate cinnamon butter on bread. These white taste buds showed up 24 hours later. I think I too am allergic to cinnamon. Oh well..............guess I'll add that one to my list. I won't tug anything out of my skin, but I will say that there are 2 products I can't live without: Gly Oxide antiseptic oral cleanser and Orajel Antiseptic Mouth Sore Rinse. I dry off my tongue with a clean cloth and then pour the Gly Oxide over the affected area. Leave it there for at least 2 minutes...........longer if you can stand it, then rinse your mouth out with cold water. This cleanser is very strong, but cleans out the sores well and they get better much faster when I do this. Recently, I discovered the Orajel product and I gargle with this after using the Gly Oxide. This product numbs the sores and allows you to function......Good stuff.

I think that makes sence cause i have TONS of them in a group on the side tip of my tounge, and im pregnant which has caused me horrible acid reflux. I hope they go away once i have my baby in around 3 weeks, but even that is wayyy to long to stand having these. I have cut a few of the really annoying ones off but there is just toooo many to cut all of them off.

well actually, cutting them off does work. You just need to make sure whatever you use to cut it off is sterile.

but once you do cut it off, it bleeds for about 2-3 seconds and then doesn't hurt anymore.

i have a cluster of red swollen bumps on the tip of my tongue and i get them often. i get them from rubbing my tongue on my teeth or the chew pouch in my mouth.

These things are so freaking irritating. I have one or two right now, and I think it was from that damn piece of starburst I ate like...3 days ago. I think it is from the sugar or maybe even the citrus? I tend to get these a lot, but only when I'm eating like...CANDY. I can eat chocolate, sugary things, spicy things, cinnamon, whatever. Just sugary candy makes these damn sore spots appear on the tip of my tongue. I usually bite them just to make them hurt but strangely feel better, or I try and pull them off. But I'll try and find some tweezers tomorrow, as I don't think I got it all. :/

i get them every once in awhile. with me, it's an irritation caused by rubbing my tongue along my braces/elastics. the best way to get rid of them is to pull off using your fingernails (with clean hands, of course). it really doesn''t hurt very much, and unless you do this, the sore will just continue to hurt, and maybe even become more inflamed. i pulled one off yesterday, and now the sore is completely gone, and no longer hurts.

hope this helped :-)

It will not bleed significantly if it is one or a couple taste buds....they grow back! When you eat too much spicy food, guess what? it burns some off, they grow back very quickly. I would say do with caution and at own risk, maybe tweezers or clean fingernails. I have one right now and I am so getting rid of it...no way I am waiting days...I can't eat! o.O