I've been getting swollen taste buds for years. I just let them run their course. However this past weekend after using a lot of crest pro health mouthwash a bunch of them became super painful. I don't know if I'm allergic to something in it or what but I stopped using it and just started using some Peroxyl which is good for mouth problems. The pain has subsided a bit but is still pretty painful. I'm hoping in the next couple days it will be completely gone.

Anyone heard of someone getting them from mouthwash or anything like that?

Just thought that I'd report back. I've been using the Peroxyl for about a day and a half now and already my tongue feels soooo much better than it did in the beginning of the week. I can drink water now without the sting and it doesn't just hurt when I'm doing absolutely nothing. If people get these painful taste buds I would definitely recommend Peroxyl. I think I only have a few more left to heal which I'm hoping and guessing by this heal rate, will be good to go in a couple more days.

I am still curious if anyone has had this sort of reaction to mouthwash though, so please let me know. Hope this helps some of you. =}

Its an enlarged taste bud, you ate too much of a good thing. Sweets at the front of your tounge, salty mid toung, sour and bitter in the back. Don't bite/scratch/snip them off, these are your taste buds we are talking about, you won't get them back. It will go away after a while, but stop eating so much of one salty/sweet thing. Whatever it is. It happens to me too, just leave them alone, they will go away after a while.

I cut mine off all the time. It does get rid of the serious pain and usually does not bleed unless they are not ready to come off. I am serious it is much better than waiting. No big deal, doesn't even hurt.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that runs into this. I get them alot. I bite my tongue from time to time. Yes, just yank 'em off. Your mouth doesn't heal the same as the rest of you. Normally when you cut skin you get a scab, and then the healing is done behind the scenes. Not like that with a taste bud. At first you will notice they hurt a lot and the bud seems to be "hanging there". Too soon to pull it now. Next they will turn white and swell up so that they look bigger than the rest of your happy buds. This your body's way of saying time to get ride of it. Your body has done it's job to heal, now it's time to get rid of the dead bud. You can get them off sooner than waiting until it turns white, but it's more painful to pull them off before they die. And you will probably bleed.

Yes, it will be more painful while you are trying to get them off than the pain from leaving them alone. However, you need to do it. Once you get rid of the taste bud, there will no longer be any pain. It's really amazing. That's how you know it's the right thing to do. If it hurt alot getting rid of them, and it still hurt alot after, that would be a sign they should stay. But it's amazing, once the bud is gone it's like, why on earth did I put up with the pain like this?

But they are damaged and it's better to just get rid of it than burden the body with trying to save a dying/dead taste bud. In fact, really your body is trying to get rid of it. What you don't realize is that eventually the taste bud comes off on it's own, at least that would be the case once it turns white. Usually when you eat or drink something that scrapes it off for you, you just don't realize.

If the pain is too much to bear when you are trying to remove them. I have 2 tricks that work like a charm. The first is to apply pressure to the tongue right near the bud. And then just gently scrape along the bud and it should come off pretty easy and not much pain as just yanking the bud off. If it's still too painful and the bud doesn't want to come off so easy, the next trick will do the job. Apply a topical cancer sour medication, or something like that to numb the bud. And then just repeat. If you still can't seem to get the bud off, then you can always use nail clippers to snip the bud.

Yes, it might hurt alot, but better to have a few seconds of unbelievable pain, than weeks of pain from eating and drinking and such.

Remember those who are cutting and pulling the bumps off their tongues, they are taste buds that have inflammation in the trenches around them. If you cut them off continuously, eventually you won't be able to taste things right. Also, causing your tongue to bleed invites secondary infection which will hurt considerably more than the little inflammed taste bud. Blistex puts out a good product for this and other mouth sores. Good luck all, I have one now and am about to apply some of the Blistex product.

As we speak my daughter (11) is standing next to me with her tounge sticking out crying from pain. We have tried everything. It is miserable for her every month for about 3 days. Does anyone know of a prescription out there for this kind of thing? We have tried pulling them off which sometimes works but not everytime. There has to be a medical way to keep this "virus" at bay. Thanks for any input. ~sad :-(

Hey guys so far everything seems to be repetitive both my parents are nurses and because of that ive seen plenty of doctors for this...they cant do anything... i have yet to cut them off but im probably on my way to the drug store for some kanka and scissors...for those of you that are curious the Dr.s only say either allergies or agree with the above of spicy, hot irratating foods they reccomend staying away from. The best solution healthiest and safest is most likely salt water. When i get these i usually have them for a week but this time it has been 2 weeks and i cant take it anymore. I am constantly drinking water finishing over 1 gallon each day.!! if anyone comes up with a better/safer/less painful way of getting rid of these plz tell me!!

Wow I get these really bad on the tip of my toung and i didn't know what to do but i cut them off and they went away so thank u so much!!! :-D

IM so glad i found this site. just found a sore tastebud and clipped it. it was the first one i have ever clipped. within 5 minutes its felt like nothing was ever wrong!!!!!!

I dunno about that last "Guest", but they've gotta be crazy to send you to a DOCTOR for something SMALLER than an average pimple.
That's honestly all it is though, and can be caused by the same things as regular pimples; Too much salt, too much oil/grease, not being clean enough, etc. All I do is gently rub my two fingernails on opposite sides of it, increasing pressure, until the very tip is cut off. By using the fingernails, I've found it pretty much cauterizes the "wound", so that it doesn't even bleed. :]

Goldenseal and Myrrh tea held in the mouth will heal sores there very fast. Make from the dried herb or flash off the alcohol if using tincture, using hot water and letting it sit. The tea tastes terrible but the pain and problem will go away fast. In a matter of hours. This works on swollen saliva glands and anything on soft mucous membranes. I would also try eating a more alkaline diet. Could be over acid situation or toxicity. A cleansing diet could help. Green smoothies (read Green for life, an excellent book) are great and very healing. My teeth are stronger and my immune system rocks now after daily green drinks for 4 months. I've never been so healthy. I'm planning on drinking these for the rest of my life because even my nails, skin and hair look better.

So I get these very often too, and I also resort to clipping it or pulling it out. I find it hurts less when I do so. Obviously it's your own choice and don't cut your whole tongue off and what not but it's quick and it bleeds a bit but the pains gone. I've done both ways and I found it's easiest to cut/pull them out. They're just taste buds with exposed nerves, you pull it out and new ones form, it's part of nature. The tongue sheds taste buds every few days, no big harm. But that's just me.

I cut mine off with a sterilized toe nail clipper, no bleeding... if you have a bad experience with this, then you like don't have what some of the people here are talking about.

I also use simple thread to tie off skin tags on various skin areas instead of cryo treatments... they fall off in a few days after skin dies from lack of blood flow.

I respect going to the Dr for little things like this... but if you don't have money, these home remedies are golden.

Heyy my name is jadie,,and i was wondering how does dead taste buds apear ?