WOW! Nail clippers no please dont do that i have that same problem and when i slide my teeth across it its a shocking felling
i use to clip them and pull em off when i was young but doing that makes it take longer to heal and it comes back

JUST STOP EATING sour candy , sunflower seeds , etc...... something you ate

I have suddenly been getting these often, not sure why yet. Some of these postings are good, but some are really showing ignorance. To whoever is saying not to put PEROXIDE in your mouth, get a clue! One of the uses of it is ORAL DEBRIDING AGENT, meaning mouth cleaner. The kind you buy is only 3% peroxide anyway, the rest is water. Also, while I too have scraped these off, there is a risk anytime you cut up your skin. Quit being chickens and cheapos and go see a doctor or dentist. An office visit for some real information is worth your co-pay. Go to Walgreen's clinic if you have no other option.

go to a doctor, black is bad

Has anyone considered whether this condition is contagious? I have been expeiencing these symptoms for a few days and my son had something similar last week. Today my husband and mother have the same symptoms. We are planning a trip to the doctor.

i definitly agree with cutting it off. mine have never been big enough to cause alot of bleeding. I used a new pair of nail clippers like a previous poster... it really works and i would rather do that than keep brushing it up against my teeth in pain.

They are just small ulcers. If you leave them alone they will go away within a few weeks but if you cannot wait that long and cannot see a doctor there is no harm in cutting them off with nail clippers. You must ensure though that you only cut off the small white part and not more skin than you need to (excessive cutting will result in more blood).

They aren't just caused by food but also by stress and anxiety.

Bull....don't spend money on this. The nailclipper idea works, you bleed for 3 or 4 secs and the pain is gone. You just need to be sure you are clipping the white bud that is swollen and it's all over with. I don't know what causes them, but this does work. ((If you are really needing to get rid of $75 to have them removed, then go to a doctor and they will do the same thing))

Its probably not a good idea to pull them off.. But I kinda still do it anyway.
They are honestly right about it hurting less then leaving it the way it is.
When you pull it off it generally hurts a little but not as much as leaving it there.
Then occasionally it bleeds but never alot or for a long time or it just doesn't bleed to begin with.

I get them after I chew sunflower seeds which are salty plus the shells cut up my tongue a little. I pull them off with tweezers so I get the whole root. Glad I'm not the only one.

i have like a million little taste buds that are raised and the side of my tongue is really hurts and i don't really taste things what could this mean????

I clip mine off too, its no big deal. I clean a pair of tweezers with an open flame, snip the bud off, then rinse with peroxide and water. I have been getting these things for years. When I first got them, I would rinse with peroxide ONLY. They would take FOREVER to go away. When I started clipping them off with something clean then rinsing with peroxide they would go away sooner.

I suppose there is some risk of infectuon, but they wont bleed if you do not clip too much off.

This thread seriously just saved me days of pain. I had two, one on either side of my tongue. I literally wanted to cut my tongue out they hurt so bad. I just sterilized some tweezers and yanked the things right out and then gargled scope and salt water. It did hurt but nothing compared to how it did. Thanks guys

Hey, I get these all the time. I have resorted to cutting them off with sterilized "Cuticle Removers" Like nail clippers....too. It only bleeds for a minute and then the pain is gone, although sometimes another one will pop up the next day. My only worry is that I am cutting off tatse buds, and eventually I won't be able to taste well, is this a valid concern? If there is no concern about taste buds, then the heck with doctors, and rinsing and all that, just lop them off... Considering how much they hurt and how you can barely talk, it is worth it....

i got a swollen taste bud from eating a very hot taquito yesterday. i put orajel on the tastebud let it get numb and then took some sterilized nail clippers and clipped the bud right off. it didnt hurt very much at all, and bled for about a minute and now i can finally get to sleep. im so glad i didnt wait for the swelling to go away because honestly my tongue feels 100% better. i know there are some doubtful people out there as i was one of them but clipping really helps. the tastebud isnt hitting your teeth causing the pain. hope this helps!

This is usually caused by a BAD diet, and acidic things like vinegar, orange juice, tomatoes, or other acidic fruits and foods.
Dont cut off the taste bud unless you want to loose it forever, your ability to taste is fractionally being reduced, so think about that... yeah its just one, but they add up... they heal on their own unless you irritate them again... see it as a way to eat healthy, get some lettuce and bread and you are fine, :-p