I get them too. I have something called geographic tongue and I think that is why I get them. Look it up, you may have the same thing, though there is no cure. I always wait till mine turn white (because when it starts hurting, they are usually red) then just pull them off, the relief is AMAZING! It might bleed for just a second, but then you won't feel anything.

usually i only get one or two out of control tastebuds, so I too have found that cutting them off is the best solution. It usually happens under stress, and it is just one or two swollen taste buds. When i cut it off, it's like night and day, all better within hours, and I feel immediately better. what charlie describes, does not sound the like the same thing, so good advice is to check with your dentist or gp.

If you can find it, use a product called Kanka that you can get in most US drug stores. It's made for canker sores on the interior of your mouth, but it works wonders on the painful bumps. It numbs up the area and provides a protective coating that lasts for quite a few hours. Make sure you follow the instructions on the package to dry the area with a towel first, apply the product, and then allow it to dry for a bit before getting it wet again.

It was either my orthodontist or my dentist that told me about this when I had braces years ago...it also works great on sores or cuts caused by braces, biting your cheek or other minor mouth injuries that need just a little time to heal.

Best of luck.

I get this as well. I am allergic to cinnamon. The taste buds on one side of the tip of my tongue swell in one or two patches about 17-24 hours after having even a very small amount of cinnamon. It usually lasts about one week. If you think that this may have been caused by cinnamon gum or toothpicks, I would recommend that you avoid eating cinnamon at all because I've noticed that it gets worse every time and takes less to cause the reaction. Another, less common, spice that I just found out I have the same problem with is file powder. It is used on or in gumbo, and it's made from sassafras which is in the same family as cinnamon and cassia(a spice sometimes used in place of cinnamon).

For the love of god, do not put hydrogen peroxide in your mouth. A strong saline solution works much better.

WOW i am sooo glad that im not the only person that gets this! I have several of these right now and oh my god do they ever hurt! I know its soooo tempting to fiddle with them and rub them against your teeth, but this is really just making it worse!
What i do .. is i dip a Qtip in hydrogen peroxide and rub it along the area for a few minutes.. then all the sudden the swollen tastebud will sizzle a little (no joke) and turn white. You will immediately feel the pain released a little, and a few hours later, the irritation is gone!
it might not work on the first try, so do it a couple times throughout the day.

One other remedy is to mix baking soda with a liittttle bit of water so its in paste form, and to stick it onto the swollen area with the swollen area sticking out of your mouth and away from any spit. Keep it like this for a good 3 minutes then rinse it off. This doesnt work on the first try, but as soooon as you see the signs of a canker sore coming on, this will help keep it clean.

its especially important to keep your mouth clean throughout the day when you have this, so be extra careful with that.

I read about using maalox and benadryl liquid mixture to swish around which provides relief.

My Grandmother always called them lie bumps. If you think about it, you can remember at least one lie you told before you got it. I guess a clean conscience would mean a clean tongue !

the swollen taste buds on the tip and sides of your tongue are caused by gingevitis or the even worse form Herpetic Gingostamotitis. I get them cause i'm prone to Gingevitis due to genetics, but if you are just starting to get these swollen or irritated taste buds, brush your teeth with a toothpaste high in flouride and use listerine to rinse every day for a week(you should do this once a day anyway, but...) and if this does not clear it up or it get's worse, seek out a doctor for it may be a viral infection of the gums and can spread to you nose, throat, and as it did with me before i got it stopped. the stomach and intestines. yes it can go away if you clip the bad buds but it'll only be temporary. the real problem will still be there.

Ok so I got one white bump on the front of my tongue, which I think is the saline area. I looks at this post, and I would like to add my story, that I got my wisdom teeth out 4 days ago, and I have to rinse the extraction sites out with a solution that consists of 1 cup of water and hydrogen peroxide each, and one tsp salt. I started rinsing yesterday, and the white bump showed up today, so I think that it's something to do with salt or the peroxide.

I have had a few of these for a long time now. It started with one and now it is three in a group. Swollen and white, but doesn't hurt. It just doesn't go away, it has been months now and I am starting to get concerned.

I just cut the off like the other guy said. it will hurt for like 2 secnds then its like it was never there. For that guy who doesnt believe yes and listen to him and walk around with tht thing for 4 to 7 days. . . . . .No thanks! 2 seconds of very little pain is good for me.

Why on earth would you want to waste your time and the Dr.'s time by sitting in your medical clinic for a little irritated tastebud? Cancer??? ZOMG no way! Im so sick of everyone thinkging/saying this causes cancer or that causes cancer. In truth they dont know why many people get cancer, with the excpetion of skin cancer. Im more likly to believe gingivitis guy, at least it sounds plausible. Ive had these every once in a whole for as long as I can remember, if it was cancer, I would have known by now. I get them because I get benign migratory glossitis. It's mainly genetic and linked to psorisis which my father has.

so glad i found this post too--ive been getting these on and off for about 2 years, i saw an ENT specialist that said they are not uncommon, they have to do with too much acid buildup and when i sleep, the acid reflux travels up my esophagus and settles in the mouth--since your mouth cant slough off dead cells like the skin can, the buds get sore and infected. he told me to take a zantac 75 every day and it shoudl clear up..it did in a few days. it then came back a few months (and visits me every couple months--usualyl when my digestion is off which could explain the extra acid buildup) so i take two or 3 zantac a day. this totally helps, i'm just annoyed its recurring. right when i think "oh good, those damn sores havent come back in a while" they do. gargle with listerine often, and i wouldnt cut them off, but i do kind of pinch them off with my nails (clean hands) and it totally helps. also try using a cold wash cloth and slightly exfoliating. hurts like hell but helps in the end. would love ot know if acid is the real cause, or if its a symptom of something more serious though...

I was wondering what the heck was wrong with me (and my tongue) and then i found this page. thank you so much!!! my girlfriend just gave me this new gum and guess what - CINNAMON!!!! OMG I was going crazy thinking what caused it and now I know - this is crazy!!! thank you so much for posting your comments as this will save me from any future pain in my mouth. I too was pulling the white tastebuds off with tweezers, and it does relieve the pain and it doesn't bleed. but i had no idea as i was really enjoying my gum and now the little suckers are ALL OVER my tongue!!! ouch! thanks again to everyone for your comments. no more cinnamon gum for me!