I have had repeated yeast infections for the past 2 years. My doctor just keeps telling me to treat it the same way. I'd do so, and as soon as I'd have sex, it would all come right back. Right now, i have a thick white discharge, but it doesn't look like cottage cheese. it looks like body butter. there is no irritation, and i very, very seldomly itch. there is no pain during urination. There is no smell. Just white discharge. But, if I were to have sex again, it would start to itch, and my vaginal area would be dry during intercourse. Should I be treating this like a yeast infection?

I unfortunately get this a lot....about 5 times a year. It seems to be BV (bacterial vaginosis) It is easily treated with an antibiotic. I am so prone to getting this and I cannot figure out why. I have been married for 5 years (therefore multiple partners is eliminated), I don't douche and all the other things they think *may* trigger BV. It is not exactly known what causes it. My Dr. suggested unscented soap and cotton panties, no tight jeans, and be sure to wipe front to back. You can research BV online for more answers and symptoms.
I know this is a very old post but others looking may find an answer here.

Yeast infections are usually itchy, and like you say, they tend to look like cottage cheese — with the presence of clumps, in other words. Discharge differences should always be noted, especially by doctors. Because you do have itching and dryness after sex, it could indeed be a yeast infection, but could it also perhaps be... I don't know, some kind of allergic reaction to the condoms you're using, or to lubricant? Yeast infections are not just itchy after sex, but all the time until you get rid of them. That is the baffling part here! I think I'd ask my doctor to have the discharge lab tested. Is that possible?