I have had a persistent tapping sound inside my right ear for about 3 days now. I have tried almost every rememdy suggested online from using an ear wax removal kit, taking a warm bath and letting the water into my ears, using a heating pad on the side of my head, taking Sudafed & Bendryl for decongesting & drying of the sinuses as well as Advil for swelling, using a hair dryer to let the hot air dry it out, and also blowing air through my ears by holding my nose shut, drinking liquids quickly, yawning, and stretching the ear opening. Nothing is working.

I can breathe very clearly through my nose and I do not feel congested at all in my nasal area. I have recently gotten over a bad sinus infection, bladder infection & severe post nasal drip episode that caused a severe constriction in my throat & glands. I was on 3 rounds of antibiotics and now 2 months later... finally almost 100% well... this darn tapping noise has developed.

My ear does not feel blocked nor do I hear any whoosing or have any dizziness or pain. It is just this "MORSE CODE" type tapping going on inside mostly when I am sitting, resting and of course lying down. If I am active and moving either it goes away or I just don't notice it as much, but it always returns as soon as I sit & rest.

My Doctor tells me to stay on the Sudafed & Antihistamine, but honestly I have been on these meds for so long due to the previous ailments, I feel they are not working.

It's very difficult to get any rest as it constantly wakes me out of a sound sleep and its difficult to get back to sleep.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! I need better advice or is it simply time to go to a ENT at this point?

hi deedles,

did you find out what the problem was? i'm having the same problem right now, it's only been going for a few hours, but it's driving me nuts!

I'm having the same thing, I found an answer to it though:

Might have to visit you're GP and get your ear flushed out with high pressure water or whatever they use, I had it done a couple of years back, it's an uncomfortable experience but it gets rid of all the gunk in your ear and doesn't really hurt, although I did have an ear ache in my left ear after mine but it's depended on the individual (I think.)

I totally understand what you are going through. I've had the clicking in my right ear for years. The first time it lasted about 3 years and then suddenly quit. After about 6 months, it returned louder and more consistent than ever. I have gone to 2 ENT specialists - one of whom actually cut a nerve in my ear which didn't help. Both tell me it is tinnitus which I don't believe - it is not ringing, it is clicking - sometimes quieter than other times but lately it has been keeping me awake at night. It is awful. I've tried Claritin, muscle relaxants and other sinus meds to no avail. Help, I'm going crazy.

I felt obliged to get on the internet with this info because i suffered from the same persistant tapping for a couple mths before i recluctantly went to the dr only to be prescribed Nasonex. After everything i read i did not think a simple nasal spray would work but in desperation you'll try anything. Well two days later it was gone. I'm only back on the internet because i noticed it again last night so i'm reading more about the sinus and ear connection so i can get rid of this once and for all... i hope.

i have had ringing in my ears since i was a kid, now im getting the clicking noise in my left ear. hope someone can tell me what it is, i dont have insurance to see a doctor, that is why i am useing the web to find an answer

brandylee63 I suggest you go back and read the past posts ... lots of good information here and that way you'll see what others have done or tried ... including going to doctors or specialists but most don't find anything specific so don't feel too bad about not seeing a doctor...you might have better luck looking online for answers (if there are any). I think the more stress I was going through the worse my tapping gets so try to remain calm!!! Ha.
Good luck finding an "answer" ... you might find clues but answers to what this crazy tapping is all about .... well that's another story. If you have success be sure to let us know.

Did you know that we have crystals that float in the fluid in our inner ear?

I'm having the same problem for two months now, any help would be greatly appreciated, or suggestions, PLEASE!!!!!!