Hello, I am just starting back into running at 48 years old. I used to run in my upper 20s and lower 30s. My hardest adjustment right now is my knees. While they don't seem to hurt when I am walking or in general, they do hurt a bit about the first 15 mins of jogging, afterwhich they seem to losen up a bit and are a little painful but not as bad. I seem a little stiff at first until the losening up. I am taking ibuprophen to help with the running and it does. I have only been running now for about 10 times over maybe 3 to 4 weeks for durations of 20 mins to 30 mins. My first several runs were in an older pair of running shoes but I got some new Asics Gels and they are much better. My question is, is this something that will go away in time as I get more used to and conditioned or is this something that is due to my age and I should find a sport that is not so hard on my knees? My running surface is mostly blacktop road or trail, a bit of grass or gravel.

:wavey: :wiggle: :D

I wouldn't ignore the knee pain if I were you. It's not the end of the world, it's just an indication that your form needs adjusting and perhaps your feet need strengthening.

The culprit for my knee pain was my habbit of landing way bahck on my heel. (run through grass barefoot, and your body will show you how to run in a painfree way.)

You'll find many stories on the internet about people who had pain as your describing and turned their whole running lives around.

Some by throwing out their shoes all together, others by strenghtening their feet after they found out that their big cussioned running shoes were actually weakening their feet and killing their legs.

Peace

Guess I should see a sports Dr. then? What would you suggest? Thanks for your reply.

Seeing a doctor really depends on how much pain you're in. If the pain is only coming while you run, then it would help you to stop running, just to regroup, and then have someone watch you (video is even better) and point out the flaws in your form.

If the problem is that you're crashing onto your heel ans shoking your leg, then you've got to take action.

(to see what I mean you can even watch other runners who are heal landing and take note of the braking action they exibit.)

I know not everyone wants to throw away a new pair of running shoes or change the style of their shoes or even run barefoot but take off your shoes at least temporarily and run across a grass feild. Your feet and legs will automatically show you what to do so you don't shock them into injury. You will notice that you are now landing on the ball of your foot.

The other thing is that making your feet stronger should become a priority for you. You may have muscles in your feet and in your lower leg that have not been useed in a long time so take this slow.

When I changed to a flatter running shoe, the area around my calf and ankels were on fire. That's when I realized how my running shoes had made my feet lazy.

So even if you don't want to change your shoes, get your feet strong and improve your form.

Peace