Since I have all this vaction time accrued I thout I would use it wisely and hit the gym every morning for some low-impact cardio. The last couple of days I have been doing short brick type workouts. 5-7 miles on the stationary bike and then a 1.5 mile walk/run on the treadmill.

well....even after some good stretching I have been getting serious charlie horses in the bottoms of my feet...

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Thanks,
Chris

How long have you been wearing your running shoes? Where specifically on the bottom of your foot does it hurt? Is it generalized on the whole foot or is it more towards the back or front part?

This is the best view I could find of the area. The cramping is in both feet on the insides of the arch. It tightens up and feels just like a charlie horse. My shoes are relatively new....I may have 150 miles on them. And up until this point they have been great. I had someone tell me today that potassium could help....I don't know. Does this help any? Like I said...the cramping starts after 15 minutes of exercise and is relieved by stretching but only for a short time.

Interesting...I recently had the same problem in the arch area of my left foot even in new shoes and I'm taking a hopefully short layoff b/c of this (also b/c of pain on the top of my left foot as well due to tendon inflammation). My right's fine. I think the reason for this (in my case) was due to wearing wornout running shoes for too long and I'm now paying a big price for it. Like what you said the pain in the arch doesnt start until 10-15 min into my run. In your case it might be the wrong kind of shoe? You should see a podiatrist to get your foot type properly assessed and have him/her take a look at the shoes you are currently wearing. Maybe that would help solve the problem.

I was going to suggest the potassium thing......but the cramping (from my experience and others that I know) is worse at night. I'd have to walk around for 15 minutes in the middle of the night to walk out the pain.
I would almost suggest bigger shoes...it might help.....maybe your shoes are getting too tight once you are warmed up and the blood is flowing to the area. I know recently when I was off of running....I was able to fit into some shoes that I was ready to donate. Which leads me to a tip.....never buys shoes work or athletic when you've had a few days off of running.....they will never fit when you are "fit".

i sometimes get cramps in that part of my foot too... and now that i think about it, since i upgraded my shoe size (im now a full size larger in my running shoes since this time last year) i dont seem to get them anymore

i also find that if i make myself relax my toes my feet dont hurt as bad afterward...

Good suggestion on the shoe guys...I will try it soon.

Also, my trainer recommended a complete multi-mineral...and this has seemed to help...