Hello Everyone...

First time poster here seeking advice from the group. I am a 36 y.o. male and have had led pretty athletic life. As far as running goes, I ran cross country in high school and got back into running in earnest about 2 years ago. I know that I haven't done everything by the book and have tried to change my workouts as I learn new things.

Basically if I'm running from my house, I cannot avoid running hills but I have been running around this area ever since I started since it is the most convenient for me and my family's schedule. I'm running sidewalks and asphalt, have replaced my shoes every 6 mos or so and just bought a new pair of Asics recommended to me by our local runners shop which I have no issues with.

I used to run without stretching period (let the flaming begin). Now, in light of my recent problem, I have been stretching before and after running. I ran pretty much the same distance at the same pace (flame me again) until recently and was running 4-5 days a week. This should do for background info I hope and I apologize for boring anyone...lol

Recently my calves have started to feel sore on the insides like they're bruised if I squeeze them... They also feel kind of tight and just dead. The last few days I have seriously not looked forward to standing or walking around although when I run they don't cause me a whole lot of problem other than they feel like they could be a little looser. I've been applying heat and using The Stick and stretching but am at a loss as to what would be best for me now. Is this my body telling me to ease up or is this something I can work through and feel more comfortable. I've been running for 2 years and this comes up so I'm a little confused. Thank you all in advance!!!

Sincerely,

Darren

It's hard to say what the problem is but here's something you can try.

I had a slight problem with some tightness in my right leg a few weeks ago and I couldn't figure out what it was. It turns out it was something as simple as running on the left side of the road all the time. Since the roads are slightly slanted my feet were always hiting the ground and then shifting down to the left a little bit.

So anyway, I would suggest paying attention to where you run... are the roads or side walks slanted? It's not really a good idea to run on the right side of the road because you can't see traffic coming but if you run on a trail or sidewalk of some kind even if it is slanted a little you can choose which side to run on or always turn around and run the other way.

If that still doesn't help I would cut back your milage a little or even take a few days off and well if you still have a problem you may want to see a doctor.

Hope that helps,
John

I'm running only about 4 mi per run. How much cutting back would anyone recommend? My older brother is a doc and he told me to take a week off. I was just wondering if anybody has experienced this and how they got through it.

Taking a week off is a good place to start. I've had calf problems in the past and they've mostly been related to overuse and a possible lack of potassium in my diet.

Taking a week off isn't a bad idea at all... if you still want to run I would only suggest like maybe an easy mile or 2 at the most.