Good day guys. I have unknown breed cat. She is almost four years old. She was perfectly healthy cat but something has changed. She is always sick and she is really grumpy and a little bit annoying because of it. And I love her very much.

Last month she was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease. People are telling me that I don’t need to be worried about this at all. But I panic a lot. A LOT!

I want to give her proper care. Can you tell me what to feed cat with IBD? Any idea? I think that this is the main thing that can help me heal her.  

Hey there.

There is no reason for you to panic. It is lately very common disease but there is a cure.

Yes – the food and the proper diet program are the main cure :)

You should definitely feed your cat with raw foods in this case. It is good because it doesn’t include bones which are really difficult for some cats to digest. Also it is very high in quality.

You can feed your cat with pure vita canned food. It has really simple ingredients, grain – free and it is low carb as well.

Primal’s raw cat food is also good but it has more vegetables and fiber. But you can find this food almost everywhere.

I want to ask you, do you want to prepare food alone for your cat or you want to feed her with canned foods?

Hello. I heard that vets are saying that cats with IBD symptoms need to eat foods that are high in carbohydrates and low in quality proteins. Well I disagree! I would recommend you to look for high quality proteins, and low carb foods. You know that cats are natural carnivores. Corn is one of the worst thing that you can add to your cat’s food when she is diagnosed with IBD. Your cat should eat meat and pre – digested grains. This is perfectly natural for your cat. Please avoid carrageenan and similar ingredients that can irritate IBD. Actually carrageenan is the worst and there are a lot of signs that prove this.  When you want to make a list you need to consult your vet.

Umm… yeah there is a reason to panic. And no, it can’t be cured. IBD’s can get very nasty and your pet can die because of it. Don’t let these comments reinforce you to put it aside. Now when you know your cat has it, everything needs to change. The proper diet is no 1 if you want to keep her alive.

And did someone suggest raw food? Sorry but, that makes no sense. Raw food is controversial and vets disagree when it comes to giving it to cats with normal digestive systems. A cat with IBD cannot eat raw food, it won’t be able to digest it.

I couldn’t agree more. I was just about to write that when I saw your comment @ Rubylock. Cats with IBD have very sensitive bowel and it really is very important to take good care of the cat’s diet if you want to keep her out of the active phase of the disease. Raw food would destroy her bowels.

I do agree that you should buy organic, non processed food for her rather than the one you can find in pet shops, but I am 100% sure that you need to cook it before giving it to you cat with IBD.

Umm let me see. You could definitely feed her with white fish. It is very easy to digest and of course don’t give your cat raw fish. They are right when they tell you that cats with IBD can’t handle raw. And don’t even think of preparing the fish like you would for yourself – using oil. You need to cook it without oil and without any spices. Not even salt. Ok, you can add a little, but you should know that salt and lemon that we add when we prepare fish for us can harm your can. And make sure to clean the fish well.

Hello. Love is pet, I need to agree with rubylock in this one. Raw food is the worst choice when your cat is diagnosed with IBD. I feed my dog with it but I am sure that I would never feed him with raw food in this case. IBD is really bad disease and your cat is not able to stand raw food. If you want to feed your cat with food that you can buy in the market, than try Blue Buffalo Natural Choice Limited ingredients, because it has 30% of proteins and no buyproducts, no grains as well. But raw food is definitely the worst option in this case – ever!

I made a mistake when my cat was diagnosed with IBD. I was pretty sure that raw food is the good choice just like you. I never wanted to feed my cat with foods that are high in fiber.
That was the second mistake I made.
You need to be very, extremely careful when it comes about this disease.
The best diet for your cat wit IBD is a hypoallergenic one. It contains a protein source, rabbit or duck that your cat has not been exposed and you cannot find it in normal, commercial foods.
I am feeding my cat according to this diet program. I am trying to correct the mistake :/

Here is a more concrete answer to your question. You need to feed your cat with meat and fish stocks. Giving you these you are providing her with highly nutritious food, but at the same time go are giving her food that’s not so hard to digest.

Chicken stock is particularly good for digestive systems of cats with IBD, so include more of it in her meals. Of course remove small bones from fish.

Mix food for her and also buy probiotics. They will help your cat especially when she has diarrhea.

You can find probiotics in fermented foods, such as green tripe.